· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default When is it safe to remove media?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a tank that is just about cycled. The NitrItes have been spiked for 4 days now. I have an established tank also that has a bio wheel filter and an aqua clear 50. The Aqua Clear 50 has two sponge media and 1 bio media in it. When would it be safe to remove one of the sponge media in the established tank to transfer to the cycling tank (to quicken it)? The established tank has been cycled for only a week now. That is why I'm kinda afraid to remove the media (even thou there are two) I have an extra sponge to replace the one that I remove.

I'm just asking because my local fish store just got my figure 8 puffer in today and I would like my cycling tank to cycle a bit faster since they're holding him for me at the moment.
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the fish load in the cycled tank - if large, this might causes issues in that tank (big ammonia spike.) If small, than taking out just one cartridge (leaving two), should not be a big deal; just remember that tank will have a small ammonia spike and you will need to watch it closely.

In an identical manner, the cycled cartridge will have very little bacteria (a 1/3rd at best) so adding that to the cycling tank will hurry the cycling but will support only a few fish. Again, once cycled, add fish slowly and watch for ammonia spikes.

0 Not allowed!
    If the nitrites have spiked for 4 days now, they may drop without doing anything by this weekend.