· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default what is this green filmy algae and how do i make it go away?

0 Not allowed!

this stuff is driving me nuts. it is in none of my other tanks and this stuff spread so fast, even with the lights off.

some information about the tank. it is 6 gallons, and it has a neon tetra, a tiny otto, and an african dwarf frog. there used to be another tetra, but he died recently, and i think it is my fault. see, i've been changing the water more than often lately to try and get rid of this green crap, and i think too many water changes did him in.

i have tried quite a few things to get rid of this stuff, but there is always a tiny bit left over, and then it starts spreading again. it literally covers all the rocks in my tank within 2 days. it is a film like algae, and it sticks to the rocks. you can see in one of the pictures that it gets all bunched up, and that it is all over the plants as well. it's very pungent.

i've read so many tips and tried a special product for it as well, but i have also avoided some that said it killed their fish. i dont want my fish to die. but i want to get rid of this stuff. it didn't used to be in there. i had the tank for about 5 months before this stuff started showing up.

any help is appreciated. thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    That stuff is blue green algae, and unfortunately no algae eater will eat it because
    it is not really an algae but a photosynthetic anaerobic bacteria that protects itself with a mucus covering. Whenever you do a water change(good decision to increase them) try rubbing as much of the stuff off as possible and drastically reduce feedings. the increased water changes are good, but if there still are excess nutrients in the water from overfeeding they will be useless. remember that healthy fish survive up to a week without food without ill symptoms.

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes will not "do in" a fish unless you forget to use dechlorinator or the water temp of the new water isn't the same as what's in the tank.

Do you check your water parameters? A smaller tank like that is hard to maintain because if there's ammonia build-up, it's easier for that to happen in less water volume.

With the few fish you have in there, you might want to take the above advice and stop feeding for a few days to see if it affects how quickly the algae grows.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Cyanobacteria. I may be spelling this wrong, but that is exactly what it is. This absolute nuisance can be a real bear to get rid of. I have had this in one tank, and all the cleaning in the world wasn't going to get rid of it. In fact, the more I cleaned, the WORSE it got.

There are a few things you can do to get rid of it.

Already mentioned, is to lessen feeding.

Second, take out affected items, such as decorations, whole sections of gravel, plastic plants, hoses, etc, and soak them in Hydrogen peroxide. Use full strength directly on the items in a bucket. The peroxide you want is what's sold at pharmacies and I believe is 3% by volume. Douse everything, let soak, and repeat until its gone. Rinse very well, and return items to tank. Do not soak your filter, or filter material in peroxide, you will kill your beneficial bacteria. It is okay though to remove the intake extension and soak that if its covered in it.

While doing this, clean the glass of it, and do a water change to help rid what you have just removed from the water column.

You may have to repeat this several times along with keeping the tank dark to help be completely rid of it.

In a worst case scenario, as a last resort especially if it is just starting to take over, is to use Maracyn. I have used this with great effectiveness, it is an antibiotic, that will kill the Cyanobacteria.... sadly, it will also kill off likely your beneficial bacteria too. The treatment will turn the water a disturbing green, but do not let that alarm you. Follow the directions on the package, for regular dosing, but repeat the dose immediately after the first round is finished. When done, placing carbon in your filter and water changes will remove the green tint as well as any residual medication from the tank. Also, keep tank dark during treatment.

Hope this helps.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you all for your advice.

yes , i did check the water , everything was normal. the temperature of the water i thought was fine, i have done it many many times, but one of the fish died and not the others, so i assumed that it was my fault anyway.

i will try the hydrogen peroxide. i have some around. what about the plants? it's seemingly impossible to get this stuff off my plants. should i just get new ones?

0 Not allowed!
    if the plants are plastic, the peroxide should do the trick, just soak them in that, or, soak them in a water and bleach solution for a few hours. If you use bleach, make sure you rinse them really well then give them a soak in water with a triple dose of dechlorinator in it to make sure they are tank safe.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they are real plants

0 Not allowed!
    Cyano is really not an algae but a bacteria. Some plants can tolerate a 19 part water to one part bleach dip for a minute or two. You could also bleach all the rocks, etc. Plants won't do well in that gravel anyway. It may be easier to forgo having plants at all or just get floaters or plants attached to some driftwood.

I would probably remove the inhabitants and treat it with antibiotics.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i would but unfortunately i have nowhere else to put them

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I have used peroxide with success on some types of plants but discovered the hard way that a 3% solution will kill some types of plants (don't know which.) So that is far too high a concentration. The stuff comes off rather easily and can be mostly wiped off plants (try maybe a test plant and use a 1.5% solution; dip the plant for a few minutes and just put into the tank (no need to rinse.) If it surives for three days, that plant type is then ok with the tratment.