· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Will Green Hygro be fine for 5-8 days in low/nearly no light?

0 Not allowed!
    I just ordered a new 3 bulb T5HO fixture for my 90 gallon tank. It won't arrive for at least 5 days, likely a little longer.

Tomorrow I'm going to be out of town in a place where Hygro isn't illegal. I want to get some for my tank, but the fixture still won't have arrived yet. I'm wondering if the Green Hygro will survive in absolute garbage lighting for a period of around a week.

The only light I have on the tank now is a laughably underpowered Top Fin CFL that came with my 10 gallon starter kit over 2 years ago. Strangely enough, the anubias and java fern seem to be doing great in this light. My amazon sword is surviving but not thriving. I didn't think a 10 gallon light on a 90 gallon tank would grow anything. So for that reason I am optimistic that the Hygro would survive a week in poor lighting.

The only type of Hygro I've kept before was Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis ). It did very well until I had to dark out my tank for a period of about a week to rid myself of some cynobacteria. The wisteria died, the anubias didn't.

Sorry for rambling. Basically I am wondering if Green Hygro is particularly sensitive to a lack of light for a short period, as my Water Wisteria was.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Its worth a try and weather often lowers light levels in the wild a great deal for a number of days with no ill effects. That all said, I assume you mean you are going to get the plant from a stream? If so, be very careful- vast host of bacteria (some might be deadly to fish) and parasites all exist on wild plants. So a long treatment in Alum is critical.

0 Not allowed!
    It will be fine! Plants get shipped and are in the dark for several days in a row, right?

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It will be fine! Plants get shipped and are in the dark for several days in a row, right?
    +1

It will be a non issue but I have to ask, Is there a reason you HAVE to get the plants before the light gets there?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's over 100 miles away and I'm going to be there anyway later today. If I waited until the lights came then I'd have to make a special trip, and I don't own a car. It would be extremely difficult.

It's not from a stream, it's a store in another state. In my state most types of Hygro have been added to invasive species lists and aren't allowed to be purchased at retailers.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, That was not clear before.

I completely understand about the Hygro, It's indestructible in tanks.

I make sure to either freeze or microwave [to mush] my cuttings before I dispose of them and I encourage you to do the same

It's on the list for a reason and better safe than sorry.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Put them in a pail of water out in the sunshine if it's of concern.