· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Airstone Question...

0 Not allowed!
    I can't beleive I'm asking this, but I'm stumped...

Had a power outage the other day and my bubblers appeared to have clogged up. They had been slowing down anyway, but with a couple of hours with no air running through them, they bought the farm.

So today I bought a couple of new n12" air stones to replace the bubble tubes that were in the tank. Put everything together (after essentially destroying my tank-skape, because I had the original tube burried) and one air stone was working perfectly--i.e. bubbles were coming from the whole length of the stone--while the other only had bubbles coming out of the first inch or two. Swapped the tubing from each stone / pump to make sure one of my air pumps wasn't too weak or something, and it behaved the same way, so I assumed I got a plugged / bad stone.

Went and got two more stones, figuring I'd keep a spare on hand, and they're both doing the same thing--bubbles only coming out of the first couple of inches.

It's not a huge deal, but it throws off the "balance" of my tank. What the heck could be going on? Is it possible there's an entire bad "batch" of stones? Could it be a faulty check valve? Is there anything I can do to "open up" the stone somehow to allow air to flow through it more freely?

Not sure what else to try and I don't feel like continually destroying my setup to figure this out. (it's a triangular, corner tank that's fairly tall with sharp edges. It really is a pair to reach down into it and work on things...)

Thanks for any help.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you opened up the pump, that is running the stone that isn't bubbling properly and checked the diaphragm? Sometimes, if the diaphragm has a little split in it, it will still pump a little air, but not enough to push through the entire stone.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Mine did just as escamosa has mentioned. But some of these pumps will deliver more power to one line and not the other. I put a little shut-off thingie in the line to turn one on low and the other on high to get a balance from both.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have two different pumps, and swapping the tubing from one to the other doesn't change anything.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm... The only thing that I can think of to try, is to get the airstone and boil it in some water for about 5 or 10 minutes, let it dry. Then soak it in some vinegar for 5 - 10 minutes, just to see if there is any kind of blockages that can be loosened by boiling and soaking in the vinegar. After the vinegar, run the stone in some fresh water for 5 minutes to see what happens, and to force out any left over vinegar.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes, especially for older pumps or new air stones/bubbliers it would take a day or two before they developed proper flow.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine did that simply soak the airstones for 20mins before supplying air