· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need advice on Ram Cichlids!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone, I have a 75 gallon tank that is stocked with the following:
    8 Cardinal tetras
    6 Congo tetras
    2 German blue rams (breeding pair, get a little aggressive)
    2 Gold rams (Juvenal)
    3 Guppies
    3 Platys (along with 15 half inch platy fry)
    2 Cherry Barbs
    3 Serpae Tetras
    1 Marble high fin Pleco
    1 Banjo cat
    1 Red tailed shark (2 inch)
    1 atya Shrim
    1 zebra snail

I want to get rid of the platys, and guppies.

My question is can I mix my German Blue Rams, and Gold rams in with another pair of electric blue rams??

My set-up is very well, densely planted on one half of the tank and then a giant tall, long wall of rocks with many caves on the other side.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC! But please post your thread in the appropriate forum- compatibility, probably. You are unlikely to get advice on the introduction forum.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    PM a moderator and they'd be happy to move the thread to the Dwarf Cichlids section.

On the question, Rams are Rams, if given enough space, they'll be fine. But as for the other stocking, not sure if everything will work out all that well.

1 Banjo cat
    1 Red tailed shark (2 inch)
    2 Cherry Barbs
    3 Serpae Tetras
    6 Congo tetras

The Shark will likely be an issue sooner or later for the Rams. Not sure on the Banjo Catfish or Congo Tets. The Cherry's and Serpaes might harass in small numbers, nip fins, etc. I would recommend more research and more opinions on these species co-mingling.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC! As Azurescriber has said, you will get more feedback either in the compatibilty or Dwarf Cichlid sections of the forum. But In my opinion, I can't see anything wrong with your plan! Electric Blues are just a brighter blue morph of the Germans, so they should all get on ok together. Expect the chance of some crossbreeding to happen though. You should probably concider getting 1 male and 5 females too. Because the Electric Blues and German Blues are basically the same fish, the aggression that you see happening with your Germans, could rise quite a lot, if you introduce just 1 male and 1 female Electric Blue. It's much better to have three times the amount of females to males, especially if you're going to attempt having multiple pairings of the same species.

Keep a close eye on that Shark too. They can be pretty damn nasty fish, once they mature a little, or stake a claim on part of the tank. They really should be in a tank much larger than the 75g, and in with fishes that will grow a similar size, and that are equally aggressive.
    Last edited by escamosa; 06-24-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am working on removing my cherrys and serpaes , thus the reason i am not purchasing more to keep them schooling. The red tailed shark is bullied by my rams right now, so no hurry on removing.

Should I do a strict ram tank with only cardinals and black neons?

0 Not allowed!
    Black Neons would make a decent dither fish and in large enough schools would fill out the tank nicely.

The shark will become an issue when it starts growing larger and more aggressive.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so I will remove the serpaes, cherrys, red tailed shark , platys and guppies immediatly and then try to add electric blue rams, maybe 5 ? And also some more gold rams. I was also wondering when I can add my gbr fry ?