· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Setting up a small brackish aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking about making my 35l desktop tank into a brackish one, rather than a shrimp tank as I'd planned originally. I've never done brackish before so I need a bit of advice. It's a pretty tiny tank, so the range of fish I could keep is probably quite small.

I want to move my whitecheek goby from my freshwater tank into it (my otherwise excellent LFS insisted it would be fine, but I've been hearing otherwise) and maybe get some pygmy puffers, if they'd be peaceful enough. I'd also like to put various little gobies in, like dwarf dragons and maybe peacocks- do they do well in brackish? I've also heard celebes rainbows do better in brackish. What species would do well in a brackish tank of this size?

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pygmy puffer will not work. AFAIK they are strictly freshwater and should only be kept with their own kind. I currently have one in a fresh 10 gallon with a pair of ottos and that is the only tankmates I have been able to get away with. Here is a link to more info on the puffer:

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

I can't speak for any of the other fish you suggested so I would wait for other more experienced memebers to chime in.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks- having looked around a bit I don't think any of the small puffer varieties will make very good tankmates for pretty much anyone :/ does anyone else have any ideas about fish for a small brackish tank? Brackish killies maybe?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    35 l is about 7 gallons? About all you can keep in there for brackish is about one [1] bumblebee goby.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    The tank only being 7G will severely restrict you stocking options no matter what type of tank you want, FW, SW, Brackish
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    35 l is about 7 gallons? About all you can keep in there for brackish is about one [1] bumblebee goby.
    Really that limiting re numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by scottishfish
    The tank only being 7G will severely restrict you stocking options no matter what type of tank you want, FW, SW, Brackish
    Yes that's why I asked. I know there's a lot I can't put in there, I'd like to know what I can put in.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a tiny tank,limits you to tiny fish and small numbers. Brack makes it even worse due to limited biological filtration capabilitys. Then there are the fish themselves to consider. Bbg are nasty little buggers at times and one would need tbe whole tank to feel secure. There aren't too many tiny bw fish available either.

0 Not allowed!
    You could consider a small group of male swamp guppies.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Swamp guppies look really interesting, thanks for the suggestion :)

The aqadvisor calculator thinks 4 swamp guppies, 4 whitecheek-sized gobies and a nerite snail comes to 89% stocking, does that sound right? Sounds a bit ambitious to me, but that would make a rather lovely little tank if the numbers add up.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's ambitious alright!