· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Not another Algaefix thread!

0 Not allowed!
    I hesitate to bring this up, since I've read so many prior posts "pro" and "con" on Algaefix, but...I have 2 freshwater aquariums, one 29 gal and one 54 gal, set up identically as far as gravel and driftwood and planting - and both very lightly loaded with fish. Their water numbers are the same, nothing out of the ordinary. The 29 gal has been set up for about 3 years, the 54 gal for about half that. The 29 has been absolutely free of algae for months now while the 54 has green algae on the glass and string algae on the decorations and plants and even clumps on the gravel. I've given up trying to figure out why the smaller tank suddenly (and I mean within about 1 week) shed ALL of its algae and never grew any more while the big one keeps producing it. Today I reluctantly put in the recommended amount of Algaefix and within minutes the water had turned milky whitish. The fish didn't seem to like it but that was an hour or so ago and they've settled back down now. What about this milky water, though? I don't see anything about that on the Web site for the chemical's manufacturer (not that I believe manufacturers' claims...)

- SteveR
    St Louis

0 Not allowed!
    Never used the stuff. The only chemical I'll use for algae is Excel. The small tank was rid of the algae because it hit the proper balance of light, nutrients, and CO2.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    I imagine the white water is due to a bacteria bloom of the killing off of some of that algae. You should be adding additional oxygen while using it so make sure you add an airstone so the fish aren't getting so stressed.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This morning the water was still a bit murky, but the fish were fine. When we got home from work this afternoon the tank was crystal clear, the fish were hungry...but I don't see any change in the algae that's covering the sides of the tanks and the driftwood and the plants. Oh well, it could have been a LOT worse!

- SteveR

0 Not allowed!
    I know of nothing that will take care of your problem in one application. Read the directions and see how many doses are required and if there is a water change between each. Algae may be dying and take several days to go away, as well. It doesn't all just disappear instantly. Glad tank and fish are fine.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We've two sort of string algae. In the winter, shorter days and water temperatures rarely above 40oF we've a more chartreuse algae that feels ever so slightly kinky when harvest by hand. We ignore it.

In the summer with longer days and water temperatures reaching above 60oF we've a fast growing, dark emerald green, string algae. We've tried Algaefix on this summer growth with no result, zero, nil, nothing. Those thing that are sold to float in pools and block some of the sunlight seem to help.

-moors-