· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    will have a proper look later as I'm at work.

One thing I would add is that if its possible, I'd run the scrubber mesh 90 degrees to the sump rather than along it if you get me.

That the biggest complaint I have with my own one, fiddling with the mesh getting it out past the lights to remove to clean.

I will be redesigning mine in due course so I can pull it out easier for cleaning.

Apart from that, from my quick glance it seems good.

I'd really try and run the scrubber off the return flow though if you can.
    I have used pumps in the past and have reverted to pluming it direct.

A, not enough flow, and B, less power usage.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Chris

I did not even think about building it at 90 degrees to the sump to make it easier to remove / maintain. That makes perfect sense.

To maintain the same surface area, I would have to make the screen taller so I would certainly need a pump to power the water as now the top of the srubber would be taller than the base of the duriso stand pipe on the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    don't want to derail Cliff's thread, but why/how often does the algae scrubber need to be cleaned and what does cleaning an algae scrubber entail? once there is a nice thick mat of algae isn't it good to go?
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read (Chris and Hockeyhead correct me if I'm wrong here), you need to lightly scrap off and remove the algae every week or two and allow it to grow back. Once you get algae in the little cracks and corners of the screen, it grows back really fast

By removing the algae, you are removing the nitrates and phosphates it consumed.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    don't want to derail Cliff's thread, but why/how often does the algae scrubber need to be cleaned and what does cleaning an algae scrubber entail? once there is a nice thick mat of algae isn't it good to go?
    Once its growing dense green algae you litterally take the mesh out, take it over the sink and scrape it off with a knife/scraper.

You scrape it to the point there is hardly any algae left on the mesh however as the mesh is really rough the roots of the algae will be there and visable, this regrows in a week to a nice dense algae again.
    Once its nicely running this can be extended to up to 2 weeks as long as its still growing and not maxed out, once it gets too long the roots die and leach back.

When the scrubber is new, and before the decent green algaes get going, you tend to get slime algaes growing. These grow fast so at this stage you need to clean the mesh more regularly. Up to once every 3 days.

Also if the scrubber is actually too big for the amount of nutrients in the tank, the algae will never really get dense enough to get to the green hair stage.
    You'd think the bigger the better, not actually so!!!
    This is a mistake myself and alot of others have made.

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Chris you hit it on the head. The hardest part is getting out of the slime stage since it will cover up the good turf algae that looks just like that... turf. It's tough thick algae, the slimy stuff will kill it though so you have to get that off pretty consistently. Also they say not to take it all off at one, most people suggest scraping half off, so if you use two sides (light on both sides) then you scrape one side at a time, if you use one side only scrape one half of it, that way you don't lose all of your phosphate eating algae at once
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I scrape both sides at once, if the mesh is rough enough the roots survive and regrow fast!

0 Not allowed!
    It's been a few days since treating the rock in the QT set-up with flat worm exit and a 100% water change. I just tested the water and found just over 1ppm of ammoina and no nitrates. I tested 4 times and go the same results each time. I'm thinking it looks like the toxins from the flat worms also killed off some/most of the BB as there should be almost no ammoina and some nitrates by now.

Good thing I got enough time to cycle all this rock before setting up the tank

0 Not allowed!
    Giving yourself plenty time has paid off massively.

Further proof as if we need it that this hobby need patients and lots off it lol

0 Not allowed!
    +100000000 to that

I may not be the sharpest knief in the drawer, but if I have learned anything in this hobby over the years it's that only bad things happen fast.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast