· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You're definitely a tang lover, ^^.

Sorry for not going through the whole thread but what's the lighting on the setup?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, yes I am.

I have 4 units of AI SOLs. Right now they are running around 75% on the blues and 45% on the whites. Can't quite remember the exact settings
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-26-2013 at 04:23 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Are you feeding the Zoas anything? Generally, it'll just take time and once the zoas settle in well, it'll start to spread like crazy.

Have you tried to turn off the lights and pumps and just dump a bunch of food on them and then turn the pumps back on in like an hour? Can do this at night time.

Leathers grew slowly for me at first as well, but once they started going, they really grew, lol.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    I do the occasional spot feeding (maybe 3 or 4 times a month) with no flow and cover them with the top half of a large plastic bottle so they can take in the food better. I have seen some improvements in growth rates. They just seam to be growing slower than what I feel they should be. For example, I added a zoa frag with about 7 or 8 heads (about 1/2 inch in total size) about a year ago. Today, the colony has grown to about 3 to 4 inches in size. I just feel they should be a lot bigger by now, growing a lot faster than that. I have also done this with my leathers, and they too seam to grow slower than expected. My one leather has increase only about 1/3 in size in the past year.

I must say tho, I am having better luck with my leathers lately. I have noticed the leathers in my FOWLR tank (Yes I know but I could not help myself) are growing a lot faster than the ones in my reef tank. One have them has grown about 50% in size in the past year. The only major difference is the FOWLR tank has ~3ppm to 4ppm of nitrate most of the time (sometimes 2ppm to 3ppm but never less than 2ppm). After doing a little more read'n and such, I figured the increased nitrate levels (between 3 and 4ppm in that tank) were the cause for the faster growth in the FOWLR. I did try zoas in the FOWLR tank but the majestic angle made very short work of them, just as predicted but I thought I would try a small frag incase.

Maybe I am expecting too much growth ?

Just trying to get about the same growth rates as I have in the past
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Time to get a few more tangs in the tank!

Try increasing the feeding rate to twice a week. Yeah, I do believe they like "dirty" water more than the hard corals.
    Last edited by Spardas; 08-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I'm pretty sure I've got more than enough tangs right now. I'm actually considering re-homing the sailfin as he turning out to be a very big jerk. I would hate to see what type of attitude he would have when he actually starts to get close to his adult size.

I'll try twice a week coral feedings for a few weeks and see how it goes. I'll just have to talk the wife into doing at least one of the feedings when I'm traveling for work !

0 Not allowed!
    Wow cliff. Just wow.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    That's too bad on the sailfin. I really like mine.

Yeah, try that and let me know how that work out. What exactly are you feeding them?

Whenever I go anywhere for more than a day, I plan it around the fish tanks, LOL.

0 Not allowed!
    I have been spot feeding with the below

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/revi...package&cat=32

It is the best coral food that I have tried which doesn't seam to promote algae growth when you use it a little lighter than what is listed on the instructions, and seams to work best when taking a spot feeding approach. I had used this in my 90 gallon reef (when it was set-up) and did see good results. I have yet to use it in my 120 FOWLR.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, that's a good one. Do you culture your own phytoplankton by any chance?

Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast