· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The problem/challenge with marine ick is that sometimes the virus will only attack the gills in the early stages, so you won’t see white spots on the fish’s body until they have been beaten down by the virus and it’s too late. I think this is what happened in my case as the fish were acting a little weird / off the week before I was able to figure it out. It was only the last two days they had white spots on their body’s. IME, it not harder to treat/cure if you know what your doing, but it is a lot harder to recognize before it progresses to fare making it even harder to cure.

Although using marine ick meds (copper) is very hard on a fish, I think from now on I may use a preventative treatment of copper once the fish has settled into life in the QT tank. That might have made a difference in this situation.

I lost two clown fish, a vampire tang, a tusk fish, a fire fish, and 4 zebra dart fish. I know that sounds like a lot (mostly because it is) but you have to keep in mind, all these fish were juveniles and in a 40 gallon breeder.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    IME, it not harder to treat/cure if you know what your doing, but it is a lot harder to recognize before it progresses to fare making it even harder to cure.
    Truer words have never been spoken in this hobby. Properly identifying an illness before treating is extremely difficult both for novices like me and experienced fish keepers also.

0 Not allowed!
    That's me up to date with your thread Cliff.

Firstly sorry for your recent losses, as you say, your saving grace was the long QT.
    I'd defo be looking for a different LFS though to be honest. Possibly easier said than done.

I love the new sump. I'd love to have the room and head height for a similar setup. One day soon me thinks!

Some of your corals are simply amazing, the birds nest looks incredible bud. I was wondering though if you can do a video as it's really hard to see what's what in your FTS'.

Seeing a whole tank on a laptop screen never does it justice and seeing loads of small shots makes it hard to get an idea of the scape.

I'm impressed with the tank buddy. Really loving it.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Chris

I will get a video posted soon
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like I will need to up-grade my filtration sooner than I thought. The bioload is starting to exceed what my rock, algae scrubber, and current skimmer can handle. I originally planned to make a larger algae scrubber, but I think I would be better off with a better skimmer. My current skimmer is under rated for even a lightly stocked set-up like mine, and a much larger one can fit in the sump without worry. I always knew this day would come sooner or later, I just thought that it would come much latter. Although my nitrates are now only getting close to 2ppm, I am noticing some hair algae starting to grow. If I don’t change things now, I will be in for a much bigger problem later on.

I have my next skimmer narrowed down to two choices, a bubble magnis curve 9, or a CSC 450 (which is just a Skimz SK251 skimmer body with two sicci needle wheel pumps)

I have some reading to do along with talking with a few fellow hobbyist that I know currently using these skimmers to see which one I will get. I should have the new skimmer picked out and in the sump within 2 or 3 weeks

Looks like larger water changes for now.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your on a mission now. Let me know which model of skimmer you choose.
    I bought one which was only rated for a 65 on a 55 gallon and even though my nitrates are barely showing, I'm thinking of upgrading. A nice quiet skimmer would make my wife and daughter happy. You get what you pay for.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    A skimz SK181 or a SCS 150 would be a great fit for your set-up. You can get them locally or order on-line through a few places in Montreal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I like the price of the SCS 150 but it looks like it's a bit to wide for my sump. The skimz SK181 has a better warranty, fits the sump at 8.4" wide but costs 30% more.
    I guess I was right, you get what you pay for.
    I'll check my local reef store for the SK181, they have skimmers on their top shelf and a few look like the SK type skimmer.
    Thanks Cliff.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    From what I gather you'd not regret the Curve 9 Cliff.

I'd also say go for the Skimmer first BUT I'd do the ATS sooner rather than later too in fairness.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    I think once I up-grade the lighting on the current scrubber, it would improve how well the scrubber will work. I had tried some red CFL lights but it looks like they are not bright enough for the red spectrum to make a difference. I actually noticed a slower growth rate with them. I'm going back to the warm white (~3000 to 4000K) CLF lights.

I will have to look into a different approach to get a larger scrubber on the set-up. I have seen some interest stuff on fully enclosed scrubbers that you can place outside of the sump or DT provided it sits high enough to drain back into a sump or DT. I'm thinking that might be the best approach for me, but that would be my next little project.

Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast