· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, fantastic tank! Almost as nice as when I was diving on a reef and seeing such while I was part of the 'aquarium stock' as well ... however, that time I came face to face with a really giant Moray Eel - this monster was over ten feet long (only part of his body out of the reef and his vertical size was a foot and a half! Never heard that those things could get anywhere that large!) Lucky for me, he was only begging for a handout, not looking at me as said desired morsel ... . Three other divers saw and approached as well – all confirmed its size … as did the drive master back on the boat (he already knew about it just didn't think to tell us before hand.) Still hard to believe its vast size.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Thanks guys

glarior: I have not decided if I will use any sponges yet. I will be using filter socks on the intake to help polish the water. As long as there are no micro bubbles making it into the last compartment of the sump, I don't think I will be adding any sponges.
    Going to be a sweet setup!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up the new sump today and I must say,.... "ITS FREAK'N HEAVY" !!!. I would estimate about 225 lbs. My brother-in-law and I picked it up at the store today and set it in place. I jusr finished re-do the plumbing for it tonight so I will let everything cure overnight and give it a leak test in the morning. But a few pics until then.

Here is the sump at the store before I took it home

Below is the first compartment of the sump. It is a two part compartment allowing for water to flow into it from the tank and then be filtered through three 4 inch filter socks

The second compartment is for the skimmer

The third compartment is for the live rock with macro algae and the skimmer. I may not put the lights on the skimmer for a while as my nitrates are still steady around 1 to 2 ppm

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    And the last compartment is for the return pump water

And a final parting pic of the sump in place

Last edited by Cliff; 12-01-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    If you're setting this up in place of the broken one, then what's filtering your tank at the moment? I wouldn't have a clue how to swap something that size out.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My guess would be bulkheads to shut water to and from sump then just switch it out.
    14g Biocube Tank
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=98216
    5.5g Red Cherry Shrimp

55g Community tank 1 Platy,6 gold barbs, Small Clown Loach, Asian Bumblebee, 1 Red-tail Shark, 2 Albino Plecos

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I just turned off the return pump and let the drain-back fill the old sump. I have no type of shut-off between the display tank and sump. I did save a lot of that water for reuse, but I will be adding mostly newly made saltwater. The waterlevel in the display tank went down by about 2 inches.

With ~200 lbs of live rock providing biological filtration in the display tank, everyone in the tank will be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Well I've learnt something!

Is it possible to keep a reef tank using just rock for filtration?

0 Not allowed!
    It is possible. I have read about people doing that with more tolerant corals. I don’t think I would ever try that as that is beyond my comfort level. I’ve had my tanks running as long as close to two weeks without a sump, skimmer and chemical filtration with not bad side effects tho. Just my personal preference I guess.

When I tested the new set-up a little while ago, it was like the 4th of July, except instead of fireworks going off everywhere I had water spraying everywhere. It looks like when I had changed the impeller on my return pump, I over tightened the cover for the pump and cracked the pump housing. I don’t know why I just didn’t take my own advice and get the pump with the correct impeller installed the first place.

As I can’t find a replacement housing, I’ll have to get a new return pump tomorrow.

But I now have the sump filled with water and have put my live rock (from the old sump) and macro algae in the sump. I have a few powerheads and a heater in there right now so I should not get any die off from the macro algae.
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    wow that is one impressive sump set up.

I'm always way impressed by the plumbing hijinks people build to create their systems. Its all beyond me but I surely can appreciate the work and the system benefits.

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast