· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Get the Oscar !
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, Cliff! Who needs the TV at all when you will have a tank like that!? Ha! or any tank for that matter Enjoy!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Everyone

As I’m planning this new tank, I’m also thinking about what I have learned setting up my last two tanks

The live rock I got to cycle my 90 gallon reef was un-cured live rock freshly heaviest from the ocean. I took it right from the shipping containers at the SW LFS and added it directly to my tank to cycle it. What a fool I was. I ended up unknowingly adding some SPS eating crabs and some flat worms to my tank. It was a pain (to say the least) to get those critters under control. I should have cured this rock in a QT tank, and in complete darkness for about a month or two before adding it to my tank. All of the nasty little things would have died off by then and I would not have added the crabs or flat worms to the tank. I have just started recurring the rock in preparation to be moved into the new tank. I have about 80lbs recurring right now. I likely would have done this anyways as a part of a natural approach to get rid of the flats worms, even if I was not up-grading the tank. BIG lesson learned for me. All rock (both live and dry) will be cured for at least 6 weeks before going into the tank or sump.
    Also, I’m thinking about my sump design and how I can use it to help make sure my pH is as stable as possible. For me, one of the more challenging things I encountered was to get my pH stable in 120 gallon shortly after I had set it up. What worked for me was that I had to stabilized my dKH, Cal, and Mag levels along with setting up a macro algae filled refugium / live rock compartment in my sump on a reverse lighting schedule from the main tank. As the algae growth rates have really taken off over the past 6 to 8 months or so, my results keep getting better as well. For some reason this was harder to do than on 120 as compared to my 90 gallon. I’m still not too sure exactly why that is. That could have been due to something very small like the skimmer on the 90 gallon added more O2 to the water as compared to the 120 skimmer. On the 120 gallon, the pH swings had started at a range around from 7.9 to 8.2, but now they are staying at 8.1 to 8.2 both based on the same salfert liquid test kit which is not as accurate as digital meters. Now that I have that figured that out, I only have to check on the pH every week and keep a eye on the marco algae. I want to get things on the 180 just as stable sooner rather than later.

The 55 gallon sump from my 90 gallon tank should be big enough to hold the 22 gallons of drain back (if we have a power failure) so I will likely just re-size one or two compartments in the sump to hold more algae as well as a algae scrubber. I know I don’t “need” a algae scrubber, but I’ve always wanted to try one after reading about Chris’s set-up.

It looks like I can use the same return pump on my 90 gallon on the 180 as long as I do not use it for my media reactor and just plumb it for a return line only. That way I should get about 1300 to 1400 ghp of flow through the sump which will work for the skimmer as well as the macro algae. I’ll have to use a separate spare pump I already have to add flow to the media reactor. But I will allow for a pump up-grade latter on when I plumb everything together

As I only have two 300 watt heaters, I’m thinking of adding a third, or up-grading the heating.

Still lots of thing to look into an plan

As you can tell, I love this part of a new set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow SW seems like a plumbers dream/nightmare
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    LOL Scottishfish. It's certain not to the nightmare level. I can get too deep into the deals sometimes

The rock seam to be curing nicely. I think I have around 80 lbs in there, but I'm not 100% sure. I still have to cut a hole in the lid so I can run a air line into the container and reduce what little light it gets right now

I've got three 750 gph powerheads and a heater in there right now with the rock. It should be nicely ready by the time the tank is here and ready for water.

I seamed like it took forever to get it to stack into there and still have good water flow around it
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-23-2012 at 05:18 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    LOL Scottishfish. It's certain not to the nightmare level. I can get too deep into the deals sometimes

The rock seam to be curing nicely. I think I have around 80 lbs in there, but I'm not 100% sure. I still have to cut a hole in the lid so I can run a air line into the container and reduce what little light it gets right now

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...Rockcuring.jpg

I've got three 750 gph powerheads and a heater in there right now with the rock. It should be nicely ready by the time the tank is here and ready for water.

I seamed like it took forever to get it to stack into there and still have good water flow around it
    When you have a drain line in your water garbage pail, you know you're hardcore LOL
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, but when you place that drain line directly above a floor drain, that's just planning ahead for easy waterchanges should I need to.

0 Not allowed!
    This looks like a humungous job to me but a fun one for you. I'm trying to picture myself getting behind the thing to even do the hook ups! I hope you are going to have some friends there that day to give you a hand.
    Here's mine.

PS......I love the color in your basement! If I had a basement like that, I might come out of my bedroom now and then!

0 Not allowed!
    love it Cliff.

We are on the same wavelength alot me thinks lol

Can't wait to see this up and running.

I've got some ideas to throw at you and see if any stick.....

Fake rock, ceramics, expanding foam......

Algae scrubber....

DIY LED's.....

Automation.....

Are you going to build this one flush with the wall? I think it would look awesome.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys

I do already have 3 other guys lined up to help me move the tank into place after the movers drop it off and after I have the plumbing attach to the back. Then it will sit flush up to the wall behind were the TV sits now. It will give it a "built in" look.

I'm really not looking forward to moving that tank

Chris, I am planning a algae srubber and I will be getting a auto top-off system and keeping my auto dosing pump. I think any further automation will be coming much later as my wallet is taking a big enough hit for the tank. I think I will just expand my current LED lighting. As I already have the LEDs from the 90 gallon, I can just expand them (buying one more unit) at around the same cost as buying all the parts I need for DIY LEDs (but a lot less time)

I'm going to look into the DIY rock backgrounds some more though. That could really help with some scaping idea that I have been thinking about