· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

Default SMB's Salty Setups

1 Not allowed!
    Some of you already know that I am planning a small SW setup and / or that I have a brackish tank up and running already. We're redoing the dining room and one corner has been claimed by me for my salty setups - which is why I chose the title I did. The plan is to have both the SW tank and the brackish tank in the designated corner. When that is accomplished I'll be posting updates (pics!) for both tanks here. In the meantime this will mostly be to document the (probably very slow moving) progress of the SW tank.

Some of you also know that my dad passed away on Valentine's Day and that my love for this hobby is thanks to him. He had recently gotten back into the hobby with a FW tank and was hoping to have a small SW tank with an anemone and clownfish down the road. He'd picked out a nano tank that he really liked and we'd gone to his LFS in Hot Springs together over Thanksgiving weekend to look at fish and tanks (and get away from all the family at their house for a bit). Before my dad died, the hubs and I had been planning a trip to my parents' for our anniversary (Feb. 28th). Dad and I were looking forward to discussing tanks and fish and making another trip together to his LFS. I'm pretty sure he was going to take the plunge and get that nano tank he'd had his eye on for months. The hubs and I still went to Hot Springs for our anniversary and had a good visit with my mom. But, as you can imagine, it was bittersweet without dad there. So that's the sad part... now on to the happier part...

I bought a 20 gallon tank (with hood, light and filter) on March 5th (which would have been my dad's 72nd birthday) using a gift card that was given to me by my coworkers (with their condolences and in lieu of flowers). I am getting to the happier part - I swear!

Today I set up the tank - sort of. It's not in it's permanent spot yet or on it's permanent stand. I put some dry rock and coral in the tank and filled it with water. I went ahead and put in the filter that came with the tank for some water flow and to help collect some of the dust and debris from the rocks and corals while they're soaking.

SW 3-8-15.jpg

All the rock and corals you see (with the exception of the Florida lace rock - which is mostly hidden in the pic) are from SW reef tanks that my dad had many, many years ago. The little Nemo is my mascot for this build. He'll hang out in the tank as it progresses until it's stable enough for a live clownfish.

This will be a very slow build. The salty tanks won't be situated in their corner for quite some time as the dining room redo is coming along very slowly - mostly because I'm doing the work and am not known for being overly energetic even on my good days. I don't think I'll be able to do much more on the SW tank, other than purchasing components, until it gets moved to it's designated spot. FYI - I didn't do it and I'm begging y'all to never do it - DO NOT glue carpet (or anything else for that matter) to hardwood floors! OMG. Such a pain to deal with.

1 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing this setup come together
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Hope you have a great Memorial Day ;-) - steeler58 Singin in the rain.. just singin in the rain... - showmebutterfly for passing 22,000 without breking a sweat ;-) - steeler58 for passing 22,000 without breking a sweat ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - steeler58 
    Happy Dad's day indeed ;-) - steeler58 Happy Father's Day! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for all the thumbs up! - fishkeeper4 Share a drink for the new betta :| - Boundava Happy 4th of July! - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward to it, too!...looking good already!...and I think it's really neat that you will be using rocks that were once your Dad's

Maybe you'll be an inspiration for some of us to try the "salty side" one day
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Cliff and Matt. I'm happy to have at least made a start on it. I've already been asking Cliff questions and still doing research.
    This will be a FOWLR tank to start. I hope to add macro algaes and a few easy to keep softies once the tank is able to sustain them. There will be at least one clownfish.
    I plan on using my 10 gallon tank with a heater and powerhead for keeping premixed saltwater for pwc handy.

1 Not allowed!
    Once cycled, I would start with the macro algae. That will help with the nitrate spike after cycling and the extra nutrients will help the algae get established.

That will also help to establish the tank quicker for your first additions
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Cliff! I'll be checking with my local lfs, once the tank is properly set up and cycled, to see if they can order some different varieties for me. They don't ever seem to have any in stock when I go by there. I may end up having to order online, which is ok. I like the way a lot of the macro algae looks and like that it can help keep the tank stable too.

Awards Showcase

Default Lighting

0 Not allowed!
    I've spent the last 2 days attempting to research lighting needs and options for macro algae and mushroom corals. All I've come up with is that lighting of 4500-6500K is recommended for macro algae and mushroom corals prefer low to medium lighting. The hubs has been trying to explain light terminology to me. It's not sinking in or computing or something. I've been looking at lights for marine and reef tanks online all evening. Nothing jumping out at me as being perfect for the simple setup I want to achieve. I'm thinking of maybe using a single 15 Watt 18 inch 50/50 Fluorescent T8 Bulb, since I already have a light fixture for that size bulb. If that will work. I'm also looking at dual bulb and quad bulb fixtures, but those seem like an awful lot of light for a small tank. Meh. My brain hurts.

Awards Showcase

Question Lighting and flow - Help, please.

0 Not allowed!
    I want to have macro algae (probably the red varieties - red hair algae and a few Gracilaria sp.) and possibly a few softies (probably a few mushroom corals). My idea is to keep things simple - with it being a small tank, I don't think I'll want a lot of different stuff going on competing for attention.
    For what I want to have in the tank, the information I'm finding suggest low to moderate lighting and low to moderate flow. As far as I can discover, 6500-8000K is considered moderate lighting. The marine / reef lights I've found have bulbs that are rated 10000K. I'm concerned about having too much light in the tank with those bulbs - I don't want all the macro algae and softies kept at the bottom of the tank - I'd like to have them growing up and over and on top of the rocks.
    Am I looking at the wrong lighting? Am I worrying too much about not having perfect lighting conditions? Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?

On to flow - specifically, low to moderate flow - how many powerheads and what gph does that entail? Is there any kind of formula to calculate what is moderate flow - like gph should be 15x tank size or something along those lines? I will likely be purchasing Hydor Koralia Nano powerheads - options being 240 gph and 425 gph. Do I need 2? Do I need 3? Do I need just the 240 gph sizes or do I need one or more of the 425 gph sizes?

(The tank is a 20g high - 24" x 12" x 16" and rock formations will likely not be overly tall as I won't want any of the rock exposed to air during PWC - if any of that information helps.)

0 Not allowed!
    That can be a tough thing to properly plan at times. Mushrooms and the maco algae that you are going for really do like moderate to low flow. The only problem that so does all other forms of algae you do not want.

I would suggest starting off with three powers around 750gph each. Place one near the back corner of the tank point down towards the center so it will be moving water around the back of the tank. Have the other two at each of the top two corners. Has about place about 4 to 6 inches from the top and angled up towards the center so the flow made be each powerhead will meet head on. When that happens, you will be creating a lot of lower to moderate flow being randomly pushed down ward, not to mention creating a lot of surface agitation helping the water remain oxygenated.

Try that and see how it goes. If that turns out to be too low, you can always add another powerhead

You can also try adding all of your macro algae at once the help out-complete the other forms of algae.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    That can be a tough thing to properly plan at times. Mushrooms and the maco algae that you are going for really do like moderate to low flow. The only problem that so does all other forms of algae you do not want.

I would suggest starting off with three powers around 750gph each. Place one near the back corner of the tank point down towards the center so it will be moving water around the back of the tank. Have the other two at each of the top two corners. Has about place about 4 to 6 inches from the top and angled up towards the center so the flow made be each powerhead will meet head on. When that happens, you will be creating a lot of lower to moderate flow being randomly pushed down ward, not to mention creating a lot of surface agitation helping the water remain oxygenated.

Try that and see how it goes. If that turns out to be too low, you can always add another powerhead

You can also try adding all of your macro algae at once the help out-complete the other forms of algae.
    Mistype? I value your advice, but double checking, just in case - 750gph x 3 for a little 20 gallon tank? I'm picturing underwater hurricanes...
    Also, any advice on the lighting?