· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Mrramsey's Saltwater Adventure - 120g Build

1 Not allowed!
    Well folks how did we get here? It all starts with the fact that I have always wanted to have saltwater fish but for one reason or another I never did it. Well a recent turn of events gave me a reason to do it. On January first of this year (1/1/2014) I lost my sister to breast cancer. She had fought hard for 5 years. As you can imagine it was a pretty rough end to 2013 and just as rough of a beginning to 2013. She was 46 years old - too young, too soon.

We both made choices in life the put us a separate ends of the country so we did not see each other much. She had a real love for nature, animals and the ocean. So I thought "how can I honor her memory". Well I give you the Laura Patrick Memorial Aquarium. I am Still in the planning phases but have a pretty good idea of what i want to do.

So begins a new journal...
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Very sorry for your loss but the new aquarium will be a wonderful tribute to your sister

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Judi - I am going to try my best.

Thanks to my aquatic buddy, Hardy85, for helping me locate and decide on the right tank. I will post that story later going to take my son to a movie tonight.

0 Not allowed!
    I am very sorry for your loss. A tribute tank sounds like a cool idea.
    I hope that your year gets better!
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 01-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I'm sure this will be a wonderful tribute to her.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. But what a great way to honor her memory

I am looking forward to following your build
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I can't wait to see it develop, so for being such a bad influence :)

Like I've said before, I'm sure you sister would love it

8. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone for the condolences and prayers. They are gratefully received.

Now to press onward. Here is where I am to date.

I started planning this adventure chatting quite a bit with Hardy85 via facebook. Hours of scouring craigslist for something decent that wasn't overpriced and something that people would actually respond to. Chased a lot of dead ends but alas there was one I saw weeks ago that looked great but had a $750 price tag. I pretty much wrote it off as I had emailed the guy and he was really slow to respond. Well I took one last ditch effort since it was still listed and said "Hey, I am still interested can you give me a contact number?". I got a response the same morning.

We had emailed back and forth a couple times and I had asked him if he would be willing to sell just the tank since that was the piece i wanted most or if he was flexible on price. He responded with "I would rather be flexible than part it out" so I called. He proceeded to tell me the story. He lived in Maine and was going to start a reef tank, he bought the tank and stand, protein skimmer, rio2100 pump, mag24 pump, and 8 30# bags of aragomax sand. never set it up in Maine and then moved to Ohio soon after. So her sits all of this stuff that has never seen water.
    00I0I_1NBoutsvDm9_600x450.jpg
    Still wrapped in bubble wrap from the move. I started the negotiations, $400, he countered with $650 and I with $475, then he with $500. At that point I had to get to a meeting and said I would go over the numbers to see if it worked for me and call him back in an hour. Now this thing is about 70 miles from me and I don't have a truck anymore so transportation was gong to be an issue. I would need to rent a van or truck to get it, well there's another $100. I really started weighing it out pro's, con's and costs with Hardy85 on the other end live while all of this is happening.

It was pretty comical, I kept getting these chats "Well?", the suspense was high! I decided that $500 was too much and in fact so was $475. I really just wanted the tank and maybe some of the sand. The rest I could sell on craigslist or ebay but just the shear hassle of it was turning me off. I was ready to purchase a new tank at that point.

I called the guy back and said "After looking the numbers I really have to stay at my original $400". I kindly explained that while it is technically new it was not. I explained used tank values etc. I offered him $200 for the tank alone if he would split it up but if I took all of it I would go $400. I explained that I was assuming the burden of hauling and reselling along with the risk of buying the tank without any warranty. I gave him my number and told him to think it over and let me know. I thought that was going to be the end of it.

Twenty minutes later I get a call, it's him. He says "OK $400 for all of it". I agreed on the condition that he at least pull the bubble wrap off and take some pics of the tank. I said to him "You know, you and I both are assuming that nothing has happened to the tank since you movers moved it some years ago". He replies with "You know, I didn't even thing of that." He later send me some pics. I am picking it up in the morning.

The downside to this is that I will be tearing down the freshwater tanks. I enjoy them but I think it would be too much to maintain. I am planning on reusing the 55g as the sump. Depending on what all I use of this stuff I may keep the 72 as a fish only or FOWLR tank. I will be re-homing all of the freshwater fish and plants. as well as selling some of the equipment. More coming soon.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by mrramsey; 01-11-2014 at 02:48 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    The suspense was very high, was fun watching you go back and forth, but I still think it's a heck of a deal for a great looking tank

Can't wait to watch you work your magic with the overflow, sump, and stand build.

Watching your 72 get built was awesome, I know this we be good too!

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on a good buy. I look forward to seeing the project develop.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.