· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 10 Gallon Slice of the Reef

0 Not allowed!
    Giving a reef tank an attempt for a fourth time. I figured I'd give it another go since the tank will cost me nothing out of pocket besides the living organisms.

10 gallon tank equipment:
    - Koralia 1 (400gph)
    - CPR BakPak w/MJ 1200 (295gph)
    - Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 (180gph) [maybe]
    - 4x24w T5HO (might run only 2 or 3 bulbs)

stock:
    - pair of Picasso clowns or some other nifty clowns
    - 6 blue/orange legged hermits
    - 3 nassarius snails
    - 6 cerith snails
    - 3 astrea snails
    - 1 turbo snail
    - 1 scarlet skunk shrimp
    - soft coral (primarily zoas and ricordias)
    - lps (acans and anything else I fancy)

Current FTS:
    IMG_9701.jpg

Plans for the week:
    - clean up tank
    - repaint stand
    - get base rock
    - get live rock
    - cycle
    Last edited by AABatteries; 08-31-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I did not realize SW was even DOABLE in a 10G...this will be fun to watch develop
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    SW is doable in a 10 gallon. However, that stocklist is not.

I would stick with some of the smallest of the gobies and not add the turbo snail or more than one hermit crab
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what's so wrong with the stock list... I mean, the clowns could be pushing it. I don't see an issue with the turbo. I honestly thought my CUC was a little light.

0 Not allowed!
    The CUC is fine, but I wouldn't have clowns in a 10g, you could do 2 clown gobies, or a firefish or a goby pistol shrimp pair. Oh amd don't mess up I will document this for my tank, no pressure :).

0 Not allowed!
    No, that CUC is not fine. Hermit crabs need a lot to eat. You won't have enough to support 5 of them in a 10 gallon tank unless you spot feed each of them. Even then, that will no guarantee a peacefully co-existence. They will end up fighting over food and territory until there is only one crab left. This is why I suggested to start with only one of them (orange legged ones would be better). Same thing for the turbo snail. It will get to be 2 to 3 inches in size once fully grown and would likley have a hard time moving around in a 10 gallon tank with live rock. They also need a lot to eat which I can not see you providing naturally in a 10 gallon tank. Unless you start spot feeding him, he will not survive for every long.

To put your listed CUC plan in prospective, I have one hermit crab and ~10 astra snails in my 120 gallon tank with 150 to 160 lbs of live rock in it. They have been keeping that tank clean for about a year now. This is less of a CUC than you were planning for your 10 gallon tank

Clown fish really need at least a 29 gallon tank at the minimum. Even the smallest ones get to be 3 inches (females a little bigger). A 10 gallon is not even close to what they will need.

Sorry if I may be coming off a little strong here, but you current stocking plan will not end well for you in a 10 gallon tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    have to agree with Cliff.

Also, another point is - crabs and the like will walk all over your corals and steal their food. Corals can handle the walking, tho you may get annoyed seeing them closed so often, but they really will steal ALL the food from the corals, even if you spot feed, the shrimp/crabs will scamper right over.

Once I realised what hermits were like, I was quite mean to them. I didn't buy any more to keep up their numbers AND I never provided them bigger shells to grown into, they had to make do with snail shells. I had a 50gal tank with ten hermits to start, with almost 100 lbs of lr, and they were down to two before I was happy with their balance in the tank.

You might add your planned number of them to clean up a diatom problem as you start the tank, but I would return the bulk of them once your tank stabilises.
    20gal long planted community

1 Not allowed!
    General rule for a SW tank is less is more. Don't overstock. Cliff is spot on. You may not see anything right away if the inhabitants are small you have to project the timeline into the future and when they get bigger.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my live rock and saltwater going for a few days now. Plans are to repaint my stand tonight, clean up the tank, and get it set up dry. Then whenever I have time later this week, rock and water will be transferred from the buckets to the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good, pics?