· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Quick question about water change

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. My tank is due a water change tomorrow but my second heater has stopped working. Is it ok to change my water without heating it to the temperature of my tank water?

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on how cold the water is to start with vs how warm your tank is. It also depends on how much water you change. If it is like a ten degree difference, I would do a smaller water change, wait till the temperature stabilizes and then do another small water change the next day or two.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Hi
    I'm not sure I'm following.
    Do you have 2 heaters in your tank and one is not working?

Either way, you want to replace tank water with fresh conditioned water that is the same temp as the tank water so as not to shock the fish.

And if you only have one heater, you want to get a new one asap to maintain the correct temp for your fish.

If the temp in your tank has dropped substantially, then make sure that when you do add a working heater that you gradually bring the heat up to what it needs to be.

One other note: When you add the new heater, do NOT adjust the temp or plug it in for a full 30 minutes after it's submerged. This will allow the thermostat to acclimate to the water temp. If you don't do this, you will constantly be fighting to get a steady temp
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean your tap water heater is not working?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The heater in my tank is fine. I had a second heater that I used to heat my water for a water changes. Can't get to my lfs at the moment to get a new one. Could I heat my salt water in a pot on the cooker maybe?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by djcarley View Post
    The heater in my tank is fine. I had a second heater that I used to heat my water for a water changes. Can't get to my lfs at the moment to get a new one. Could I heat my salt water in a pot on the cooker maybe?
    So it's your water heater in your house. got it. yes, you could heat the water on the stove. I don't know what size of tank you're talking here, but IMO the best way to do that would be to heat a smaller amount of water on the stove to boiling. then add that to a bucket with your fresh conditioned water you plan to add to the tank until you obtain the temp you want.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see why not...carefully

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I buy my saltwater ready made from my lfs, dump what I need in a bucket and heat it over night.
    The tank size is 50 liters so I don't need to heat much. I do a small water change once a week

9. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Don't worry I'll be very careful. As long as I don't put the fish in the pot too. Clown dinner with a side of shrimp and hermit crab anybody?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by djcarley View Post
    Don't worry I'll be very careful. As long as I don't put the fish in the pot too. Clown dinner with a side of shrimp and hermit crab anybody?
    That actually sounds kind of tasty....