· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Search for a Cichlid...

0 Not allowed!
    So, I know the possibility is that I might be shutting down my 70g, but I'm still looking at stocking ideas nevertheless. It might just be that I have to wait a while before they are implemented!

I have always planned on having a "feature cichlid" as my main centrepiece fish in my 70g. For a while it was going to be a single (or pair of if I'm feeling game) Angelfish.

I have ALWAYS loved the Golden Severum but reports of suitable tank size and appropriateness for a community aquarium often contradict each other. I am confident that my 70 could house a single Sev. What I'm unsure about are suitable tankmates. Are severums compatible with medium schooling species, such as Black Skirts? What about smaller schoolers like Harlequin Rasbora (2inches at full size), or Penguin Tetra, etc. Or will these fish be bullied or eaten. Also, my tank would be heavily planted. I have read some reports that sevs will nibble on planted tanks, and others that they will destroy them. Opinions? Experience? Note that the Sevs I got (if I got them) would be 2cm fry. I'd probably get a couple and grow them out, then keep the nicest and rehome the rest.

I also was recently offered a Festivum. I have never heard of this cichlid before and couldn't find much info on it, but from what I gathered it is a docile and rather shy cichlid which is suitable for a community aquarium. Is this correct? Are they plant eaters? Etc?

Thanks in advance for all opinions and advice. :)

EDIT: Here's what it says about sev compatibility on this website. Doesn't say anything about it eating tankmates, just that it might be aggressive while breeding, but since I'd only be getting one......
    The Severum is a peaceful fish but can be territorial, especially when breeding. As always the individual personality of the fish is going to come into play here. Some Severums are well behaved, some will attack all of the other fish in your tank. Many reports from owners indicate "all bets being off" with this fish when it is breeding as tank mates who were tolerated before may now be seen as threats. Use caution and always be ready to separate the other fish from Severum cichlids if things do not go as planned.
    Last edited by Amelia; 06-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    A severum will work with a school of fish in a 70, though I would recommend barbs instead of tetras.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a lot of luck with Buenos Aires Tetras...you want any fish which is robust and larger body. Black Skirts would work as well. The success of keeping a Sev with plants comes down to 2 factors, one being the individual fish's desire to maul plants and secondly your ability to feed the fish vegetation. Severums require some plant matter in their diet, so if you satisfy this need they will be less likely to maul your plants. This is especially true if you use plants which to a fish taste like crap. Anubias, Crinum, Melon Swords, Moss, and Ferns all work best. Floating plants are also a good option such as Red Root Floater.

Festivums are awesome fish, a Severum and Festivum would live peacefully in a 70G tank with a shoal of larger tetras. You could toss in some BN plecos and some Brochis cats for bottom activity as well.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Ive never kept buenos aires tetras, but from what I've read they seem to be a bit more robust and aggressive than the typical tetra species. Thanks for the info Jenn.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I really like the sound of a sev in a 70G as said above a larger schooler would work, rosy barbs maybe? And for the bottom you could pick some odball catfish, lots of synodontis species to pick from
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Buenos Aires are the perfect "cichlid tetra" I keep a group in my 150G and they do great. Sure the Orb. ate a few of them in her juvie months but none of the fish bother the tetras now. Rosy barbs are another great choice...they just look awesome in a planted scape.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I keep rosy barbs in my cichlid tank. They work quite well. Right now I'm growing out a school of arulius barbs to take their place.
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the posts, guys! I don't think we have Buenos Aires here. We do have Columbian though, and diamonds.