· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My Amazon Sword aren't looking too healthy

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

First time aquarium owner here, have had my cycled, planted tank running for about 1.5 months now. At this time, my plants are looking pretty good. The hornwort are growing quite tall, the wisteria are in good shape (a bit of wilting near mid-stem), the crypts have acclimated and are sprouting nicely, my one anubias is alright and my mystery plant seems to be doing the best of the bunch

My swords however aren't looking as pretty. Several of them have brown, near transparent patches on the leaves, and the leaves don't look "strong", they're a bit wilted and unhealthy looking. Here's some info on my tank, hopefully it can help with the diagnosis

Tank: 46 gallon bowfront
    Light: 36" Coralife Aqualight 96W (On 8-10 hours per day). Bulb is "50/50 True Actinic 03 Blue and 10,000K Daylight"
    Substrate: 2 bags of fluorite, another 2 inches or so of mixed gravel
    Filter: Aquaclear 70
    Heater: 150W
    Water Temp: 79 F
    Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrites: 0ppm
    Nitrates: 10ppm
    pH: 6.5
    gH: 3.0
    Fish: 10 penguin tetra, one siamese algae eater

I should also mention that the root system is not completely buried, I have some of the white crown about the substrate

As for nutrients, I add a capful of Seachem Flourish once a week (was using Nutri-Gro at first), and have 10 Flourish tabs planted throughout the substrate

I'm aware that plants often need time to acclimate to the aquarium's conditions, so that could easily be what's going on, but my crypts went through that cycle already so i'm surprised the swords are taking longer if that's what's going on

Anyways, if anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated. I already tossed my vals, i'd hate to toss the swords!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience swords can be a hit or a miss, in one tank I have some and they really flourish, whilst I struggle to keep them in my other tank.

Im no expert on the flourite and plant food you use, my best advice for just starting out on plants is pick where they are going and don't gravel vac that area for 2 months then add plants, fish poop is a great fertiliser to help your plants get started

Note; my L022 pleco provides plenty of fertiliser in my 42g
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds a lot like lack of Iron (Fe.) Consider getting a liquid fert that not only has Fe but Mg, and a sulfur complex and maybe Potasium. These are hard to get from water changes alone. Avoid ones with phosphates and nitrates - fish provide too much of these! If you add ferts, consider shortening the time on the lights: 8-10 hours is a lot of direct lighting. Algae may start.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your doing it right with the exception of one thing and that could be some of it but most of it is the needing time to acclimate and establish a good root system. The one thing I see wrong is the light,actinic is useless in planted tanks and can actually cause some harm along the lines of red algaes like it. Ditch it in favor of a 6700k10k mix bulb. Do it for sure as right now you basically only have half the usable light you should.liquid plant food does very little for swords,the tabs you are using along with the fluorite are xactly what they need. Co2 will not be nneded at all but excel dosed correctly would be just enough added co2.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been reading into the actinic lights, the consensus seems to favour them as being more for show lighting than plant lighting. Some people also say it can cause an iron deficiency depending on the bulb, which was mentioned in this thread as a possible cause. I'l likely swap it out for a 6700k/10000k bulb

The Flourish contains most of the minerals mentioned, and i have two air bubblers going plus the filter splash, do I still need to add supplemental CO2?

EDIT: Looked around online a bit, doesn't look like I can get a split bulb that doesn't contain an actinic light. Not sure what my options are at this point. I'll have to check the LFS and see if they have any bulbs that fit the hood I have. Hopefully there's a 6700 or 10000k one of decent wattage. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Phantom2k4; 06-21-2012 at 03:31 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Sword plants require root tabs in the substrate. They are iron hogs. Remove all the transparent and leaves in poor shape. They will not recover anyway and are drawing strength from the rest of the plant.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Sword plants require root tabs in the substrate. They are iron hogs. Remove all the transparent and leaves in poor shape. They will not recover anyway and are drawing strength from the rest of the plant.
    I added some root tabs in about 2 weeks ago, and have started adding a dose of Flourish every week. Unfortunately I won't be able to do some trimming tonight, looks like i'll be up early tomorrow though. Thanks for the help!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Meant to update this the other day...

I trimmed any amazon leaves that had any holes/cuts, clear spots or yellowish spots. Hopefully they'll recover. I'm not 100% but I think some newer leaves have sprouted out

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found the bulb I need, but i'm not sure whether 6700k OR 10000k is preferred

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    6700k is closest to the spectrum of sunlight but 10k is a better [VERY generally: Warmer & not so yellow] light to our eyes.

10k is not out of bounds as far as being usable for plants though and often people do use a combo in a two bulb fixture to get the best of both worlds.

Kind of a judgement call aesthetically for you to make here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.