· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Frog shedding?

Hybrid View

1. Default Frog shedding?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new dwarf aquatic frog, and it looks like he is shedding skin...is this normal? Could there be a problem, or a parasite that would look like that?

Thanks.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert on frogs, but as a kid I had wild frogs I would catch in the yard and they would shed a lot... And then eat it!

0 Not allowed!
    ADF's will shed their skin, and then proceed to eat it. This is a regular event, and shouldn't be of any concern. Only if it sheds in pieces or, the frog seems to have sloughing off skin it can't remove should you worry.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok good! I was worried, he is so cute!

Also, I've had him for almost a week now, and I haven't seen him eat...will they scavange off the ground for food? The food is gone but his betta tankmate seems clever enough to get it. He seems fine, definitely not lethargic.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the first time mine did this it looked like little ghost frog slime was floating in the tank... a little creepy but it reminds me of a snake shedding their skin underwater.
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a Betta in the tank with him, you will have to target/hand feed your frog. If you don't its pretty likely that the frog will end up starving to death in time. Pet stores will tell you that ADF will simply "find the food" on the bottom, which in a frog only tank, is probably true. However, with a "food guzzler" like a Betta, he will -never- get any.

ADF also have very poor eyesight, finding food by smell generally. Its unlikely he will find food before the Betta does. The Betta may also "stalk" him if you simply drop in food especially for the frog.

To target feed, I have found the best way is to get 12 inch feeding tongs from the reptile section of the pet store. When using them, place dried blood worms on a plate and dampen the tips of the tongs in the tank, then grasp up some of the dried blood worms. Work them into the tong tips pinching until you get a good stuck clump. Don't worry if it seems stuck or cemented into the tongs, froggie will deal with that!

Once you have a clump, with the tongs pinched tight, reach them into the tank, and hold the tip of the tongs RIGHT in front of the frogs nose. WHen he starts going for it, pecking at it, release the tongs. Let him peck at the clump and he will pull it off in one go. Don't worry if it seems a bit large for him, he'll get it down, no problem.

Feed him two to three clumps of the worms, every other day. If at the third clump he isn't interested, and after several minutes hovering it in front of his nose he doesn't go for it, he's done.

If the frog is a baby, and most from pet stores are when you get them (roughly 1/2 inch long or less) feed one clump every day, until he reaches about an inch long, then begin spacing the meals out. If your frog is not going after the food, or is very lazy about it at the two day feedings, either feed less, or feed the same amount but feed every third day.

A full frog will have a distended belly, like it swallowed a full marble after a meal. The stomach will flatten out as it digests and should not remain distended. If the belly after a meal is overly distended, and stays that way for more than a day, you are probably feeding too much at one go.

This method works with several foods, freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms. ADF need meaty foods such as blood worms, and will not do well if fed fish flakes. You can also try this tong method with "tadpole bites" if they are large enough for the tongs to hold them, but small enough for the frog to eat.

Hope this helps!
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.