· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Jumped the gun!

1. Default Jumped the gun!

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a 20G tank with heater, filter. I gave it a day to get the temperature right and then the next day, put some 15 minnows/feeder goldfish to see how things would go.

Now, after reading about the internets, I realize I didn't cycle the tank and am worried I messed my tank already as I wasn't planning to keep minnows/goldfish long-term (still not sure what but leaning towards a tetra setup). I also made the mistake of putting store water into my tank.

Should I start all over? Should I just remove the fish ASAP and do a water change?

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say that all depends on what you want to do. Since you don't plan on actually keeping the fish you have in there I would save myself the trouble and take them back to where you got them.

I don't think that adding store water would be a problem.

Anyway, like I said I would take those fish out (if possible) and do a fishless cycle.

If you go forward with them in you are looking at 1-2 water changes per day. Not fun in my opinion.

You need and API liquid test kit and soon.

Read the sticky on cycling if you haven't already.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, MandyK.

I will take the fish out - do I need to change the fish-swum water to do a cycle?

I'm going to get a test kit today.

0 Not allowed!
    Nope. I would leave the water in there. How long have the fish been in the tank? You need ammonia in the tank to start the cycle, so if they have been in there long enough your cycle may have already started.

The test kit will let you know where you are at in the cycle.

In the beginning you will have a reading on ammonia. I would go with a reading of 2 if it were me.

You will need to watch for your ammonia to start to drop, at which point you will need to add cleaning ammonia to feed your growing bacteria. During this time you will eventually begin to see a Nitrite reading that will peak.

You will feed the tank ammonia until one day you get a reading of 0 on both ammonia, and Nitrites. Your Nitrates will be high, so you'll need to do a water change before you add fish.

That's just a basic outline, so like I said before if you haven't read the fishless cycle sticky, now is the time to do it. All the details are there.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    No - to cycle your tank, you need to get a hold of some pure ammonia to add to your tank - cycling involves using ammonia to grow beneficial bacteria in your filter - it has nothing to do with what water you are using because the bacteria grow in the filter.

Once you read about fishless cycling, you will see what you need to do prior to putting fish in the tank.

The ammonia should shake like it's a bottle of water - if it foams up then it has additives in it and it's not good. You add ammonia until you get a certain reading - but you need to get a test kit to do this (I see you are getting 1 today?) - most members here use the API freshwater master kit - you need to test for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates during the cycling process and getting your own kit is the best way to do it - do not rely upon your LFS to do this for you.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above!