· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Algae "problem"

1. Default Algae "problem"

0 Not allowed!
    I know my tanks need a good cleaning but can you check this out and tell me if its some kind of algae or just "build up"

Its on the back glass, rocks, and the pot in the background. This tank is in my room so it has slight direct sunlight, I really keep my blinds closed, maybe I keep the light on to long though, I'm not sure. Its also in my upstairs tank which has a lot of direct sunlight (I think)

see if this link works: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...6-18131815.jpg

thanks guys
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pic is too small for me to see the back glass. In anyways, the ones beside the heater looks like diatoms to me. They will just go away on their own when the nutrient levels on your tank levels out. Don't worry about it, just scrape it down if you find it unpleasant.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks, algae eater could help?
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ew i get this crap on my 60 gallon sometimes. it's like some sort of weird brown dust or something... i hate it. a good cleaning is the only thing that gets rid of mine with an algae scrubber... other than that my pleco does a decent job
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, but if it's only for that much algae anyways, i wouldn't get a fish to do the job. That is your part of the job to keep the tank healthy.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    That's what you call diatoms! A brown algea. Sometimes they will go away on their own, other times you have to do a bit of work to help them on their way. In a lot of cases, you just need to get into a good wekkly cleaning routine.

It can be caused by silicates, phosphates, high nitrates, and not enough light.
    Phosphates can come from your tap water, fish food, and fish poo.
    Your fishes waste is where the nitrates come from.
    And the silicates usually come from a few kinds of sands, that people use for substrates - sometimes it can come from glass.

So a few things that you can check, if you like.
    1. You can check your tap water for phosphates.
    2. Test your tank water for high nitrates.
    3. What kind of substrate do you have? Play sand?

Things that you can do to treat the problem.
    1. If you have high phosphates in your tap water, then you might have to concider using a product like PhosBan or Rowaphos.
    2. If the tank water is the problem, and has high nitrates and/or phosphates, then you need to do large water changes - at least 50% - and gravel vacuums to bring those levels down. Do this weekly.
    3. Look at your feeding technique. Are you feeding the fishes too much? Are you feeding them once a day, twice a day, or three times a day? If you're feeding them once a day, then there is a fair chance that you're dropping far too much food in the tank for them to eat in one go. Whatever food isn't eaten will settle in the substrate, rot, then it's causing nitrates/phosphates to build up in the water. I feed mine three times a day - three small serves. This way they all get some food, but it's all eaten.
    4. If you have play sand as the substrate, get rid of it and get something else to replace it with. The silicates can leech out of that sand for ages, and continue to cause these diatom blooms.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seeing that the algae is on the top of the pot facing the back of the tank, I would think it is from the tank light itself rather than an outside light source like a window. How long do you keep the light on each day? Also, if the bulbs are over 6 months old their color sectrum changes, and in my experiences, promotes more algae (may need new bulbs).

0 Not allowed!
    Just wipe it off once a week with a paper towel. No point in buying special fish just to do what you can do yourself in just minutes?