· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Indian Woods Angels, all good points and ozone (O3) is a rather reactive guy that has a very metallic and sharp smell - I have very high voltage systems that I have used and as a side effect, introduced this substance into my home work area. The reason I chose the bio-reactor is that I didn't like the algae water falls systems nor the previous "bubble falls" systems (until I read the post in the algae section.) So I went with a system that will run for years, do away with my canister filter, and only need to be fed a bit of alcohol every three days. While my nitrates in my tap fell, I already have the system and didn't see the point of not trying it. If I had it to do over, I'd build that extremely clever design using the microwave dinner plates to create a bubble falls nitrate remover - that has the further advantage of also removing phosphates and other trace organics. That device would appear to render most other filters obsolete.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've used the black box alcohol reactors on reef aquariums. They use a non oxygen consuming bacteria (amoxic) rather than the oxygen consuming type.

I had troubles with leak through and the calibration of them.

I tried an O3 reactor, plumbed it so that the waste gas went up my homes plumbing system and used a carbon filter to capture any O3 that was not processed.

It worked better but was still a bit of a pain. You had to monitor it thoroughly.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Indian Woods Angels - thanks for the information. I believe this unit does not have issues with oxygen since it cultures an outer ring of bacteria to consume all the oxygen in the water - its outflow is oxygen free; then the inner unit converts the nitrates using bacteria that only requires trace oxygen levels (a few ppm.) A simple system easily copied using sand if one wanted.

That said, the unit is producing a bit more nitrite today - between 0.2 ppm to 0.5 ppm. So the normal bacteria is growing - nitrates are now readable at 0.5 ppm. This nitrite signal has no effect on the tank since my canister filter can easily handle that load (the rate of prodcution is under 15 gal/day that has the nitrite reading.)

The bubble falls algae filter still looks like a winner and at some point, I either have to get one or build one and test it on the other tank.

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Decided to buy the algae remover or waterfall's device that was featured in the algae forum. This device also removes nitrates (and many other organics.) Nice price on those units and I have high hopes for it. When it arrives, I will install it in my other discus tank and compare the results between the two units and report.

Today I feed the nitrate bio-reactor (need to pick up some 80 proof vodka!)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Decided to buy the algae remover or waterfall's device that was featured in the algae forum. This device also removes nitrates (and many other organics.) Nice price on those units and I have high hopes for it. When it arrives, I will install it in my other discus tank and compare the results between the two units and report.

Today I feed the nitrate bio-reactor (need to pick up some 80 proof vodka!)
    I used ever clear but they out lawed it.

Awards Showcase

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels
    I used ever clear but they out lawed it.
    Really? I had gotten some a few years ago to clean mirrors and glass - figures since it had uses other than drinking ... .

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well, my nitrite's coming out of the new filter now measure zero. So, I hope that is cycled (on nitrites with current biofilter with a canister and part of a bio-wheel running; as I withdraw ceramic bio-noodles from the canister, I bet the new filter shows a nitrite spike again.)

A problem now is that I can't measure the nitrates because I ran out of chemical drops! My backup kit says zero but I do not believe it because it says zero for my other tank and that tank hasn't had its water changed for nearly six days (changing it even as I type) - that means at least 2 ppm to 5 ppm since that is what normally is its level - maybe the plants are holding it close to the 2 ppm. So, I have to assume that kit is dead, too.

My phosphates in the tank with the most plants and some phosphate absorber measures a solid zero; the other tank has a 0.5 - 1.0 ppm reading (no absorber and fewer plants than the other tank.)

So, until I get another nitrate kit from seachem, I'm off the air on nitrate reporting ... such perfect timing!

Indian Woods Angel is correct, no Every Clear. Since I wanted 40% (80 proof), just took the purest vodka (charcoal filtered.) Used 15 ml to feed the bacteria.

The flow rate had drop by 50% (as it is suposed to as the bacteria in the filter media grows) so I raised it back up to 15 ml/23 sec.

The game is on ...
    Last edited by Cermet; 06-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    My suggestion might sound a little bit wacky but here goes.....

Algae scrubbers have been successfully used for fresh water tanks.
    Have you thought about building one?

Next suggestion for the black beard algea is a small group of SAE's.
    I had 3 in my 80G. lovely wee fish and ate the lot!
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Great. I come running here today to get a nitrate report!

LOLOL

0 Not allowed!
    Woops, was too eager to suggest a scrubber I missed your posts....

I believe you are thinking of trying one already?

All I can say is......
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)