· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18 months....

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! They are commonly called bumble bee oscars for their black/yellow pattern
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome series of pictures. Thank you for sharing those!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    dang-it anyways, I want an oscar now

Great looking fish Jenn
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

You should get one Cliff, they are the St. Bernards of the fish world.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I have read that if people would de-worm their fish, that the HITH problem would be eradicated and a thing of the past. Do you agree with any part of that statement?

I don't have these big fish but just the thought of them having internal worms, perhaps for years, "bugs" (pun) me so much that mine all get treated regardless. Not sure why people wait until worms are falling out of them and the fish is on it's last leg.

What did you use on this Oscar to bring him back from where he was? He looked so bad in the first photo and even had white areas on his belly. Not sure it is was more pits forming or fungus be he sure was a sick puppy.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually the white is coloration...these things go through multiple color-phases. She came in with some white marble coloration this led to a solid black phase then that lightened to give way to the bee pattern.

This fish came from Jeff Rapps, he de-worms the fish upon arrival and has a very sophisticated QT system. When I received the fish I only used a little Prazi-Pro laced in their first feeding, I was out of meds and really did not thing it was an issue given their source. I QT'd the fish for a while to let them recover from shipping and put them in the 150G. Well all hell broke loose and this fish claimed the whole tank for her territory and killed the other. I put them in one night and came home from work the next evening and one was dead and this one was mauled. None of the other fish were bothered so I can only venture to say this is what happened since this fish was not being pestered by the other fish at the time. I suspect the stress associated with the brawl was what put the Hexamita into motion in my case.

I think many people confuse Hexamita/HITH/HLLE. Pretty much any pitting of the head and a thin appearance is dubbed HITH. True Hexamita is a parasite which robs the fish of nutritional value, the symptoms are also much more severe. With Hexamita infestation you will see white slimy fecal matter, buoyancy issues, lethargic behavior, total loss of appetite, thickening slime coat to the point the fish has a grey cast...as well as the common weight loss and pits on the head. Typical "HITH" is more of a symptom of poor water conditions and nutritional deficiency. Oscars like a lot of cichlids require higher levels of vitamin C which is a factor to what is generally known as "HITH". Improving all factors does help....but with any case of pitting and weight loss I would treat for Hexamita just to be cautious.

For treatment on this fish I tossed everything I could at her...I initially used General Cure...because it was all I had available. It did not do much, once I was able to get my shipment of appropriate meds in the mail I used a combo of Prazi Pro and Metro+. This did a little but still noting remarkable. I did daily WCs and kept the water well aerated...the fish did not do a turn around until I kind of gave up and went into a cure or kill mindset. The fish would not feed so I decided to force feed her Metro+. I got some aquarium water and mixed with some Metro+ in a syringe(minus the needle of course). I removed the fish to a shallow bowl and pried her mouth open to inject the Metro+solution. I did this once a day for 3 days. The next day following the treatment I did another WC and offered some bloodworms soaked in garlic...she ate all I gave her. I completed the treatment by soaking food in Metro+ for another week and gave her another round of Prazi Pro before moving her back to the 150G. I also treated the 150G for precaution...no fish has been affected since. I am convinced the fish would not be alive if it weren't for force feeding her Metro+, it was a last ditch effort that thankfully worked.

I do fully advocate strict QT practices even if your fish come from an amazing source, but be aware even pre-treating fish and deworming them is not always 100% affective and with cichlids (especially wild cichlids) you may have something go wrong if the fish is subjected to periods of stress.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 06-17-2012 at 06:39 PM.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    She looks amazing Jenn!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    What a wonderful explanation of all it took to keep this fish alive. Thanks for explaining all that. Not many would go through all that and I wouldn't have even known how. I can understand the kill or cure thing. The Oscar must have decided he'd better get better and do it fast or you'd kill him if he didn't. LOL Scared him into recovering.

Great job and you did it very well.

0 Not allowed!
    what a beautiful oscar! this makes me want one haha:p and for me, thats dangerous.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    I honestly probably wouldn't have done all that if it were a $5 LFS Oscar...kind of goes back to my theory that if people paid more for their fish they would take much better care of them. I was fortunate enough to randomly come across an article online with someone who had used the same drastic last ditch effort on a Green Terror...fish also saw a drastic turn around following treatment.

Thanks for the comments everyone, very much appreciated!

I think everyone should own an O at some point in their stent in the hobby.

4x75Gs coming soon