· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlocs
    Me being the dumby that I am, didn't know about cycling. Thank goodness the tank I got was already established. The previous owner kept it filled up until 5 mins before we picked it up, and some of the water remained in the gravel- which I think helped. Especially since I started adding fish (fairly quickly) to the tank.

I am getting another water test done this weekend to make sure it wasn't a fluke. But I just wanted to (maybe prematurely) celebrate my first cycled tank! There was only 1 casualty (very sad) during the process, which was a Zebra Danio. I think he either got bullied or had some other incident though.
    Congrats on being cycled! I should mention that if you ever decide to get another tank like this which is already established, you don't need to be concerned about keeping the water that is already in the tank because it's the filter (and a little in the gravel/decorations, etc.) that houses the majority of the beneficial bacteria (in case you didn't already know this). It's more important to keep the media wet and keep it in contact with ammonia (from the fish or another source) otherwise the bacteria starts to die off after about a day or two.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

The filter is a pretty good one, meant for a 50 gal tank. Even with the water level up to the wood line, the fish do not show signs of lacking oxygen, but I have been keeping it about 3/4 of an inch lower to add surface agitation just in case.

My other betta, Leo, hates having anything else in his tank. He's a big jerk, pretty though. The red one, Esquire, used to puff up at the glass fish, and at his reflection from the background, but he's calmed down and only bothers the mollies when they try to eat his food lol.

In regards for the new potential tank, what would be the best way to set that up? Should I purchase a 2nd filter, run both in my small tank to get bacteria cultures going, and then move the larger one to the new tank and run it (maybe with the danios- I read that they are often used to cycle tanks due to how hardy they are) so that it cycles faster? I will try to purchase one that already has a running system though, also.

Male guppies found a home! Just need to work on the female and the 2 mollies.

0 Not allowed!
    Going back to the cories, having 2 different species of cory is like having 1 neon and one danio. Even though they look they similar they are different species and do not school together and it is very frightening for them to be alone. Ideally both schools need to have at least 6, preferably 8 or more. You don't have room for that many in your 20 but you could easily fit 8 Peppers and 8 Albino in a 60. Or you could keep one species in your 20 and one in your 60. :)

In regards for the new potential tank, what would be the best way to set that up? Should I purchase a 2nd filter, run both in my small tank to get bacteria cultures going, and then move the larger one to the new tank and run it (maybe with the danios- I read that they are often used to cycle tanks due to how hardy they are) so that it cycles faster? I will try to purchase one that already has a running system though, also.
    Running your new filter on the old tank first is a good idea to built up bacteria in the filter. You could always just add some old filter media from the filter on your 20 to the 60g filter (even if you have to cut it to fit, won't matter). Just make sure not to remove ALL the media from the 20 at once. Or you could just chuck some gravel from the 20 into the 60. This is what I did to cycle my 70.

The bacteria will start to starve to death in a few days so yes, you'll have to add some ammonia. I don't think danios will produce enough waste to do anything in a 60 though. Maybe just add pure ammonia for a few days and check water params. Hopefully because you seeded it from your current tank you will get Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and some Nitrate. Then you'll know it's safe and you can start slowly adding fish. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Your filter is probably fine for the 25 gallon. Filters like yours are rated for "up to" 50 gallons but they are actually good for filtering just about one/half of what they state. When you get a larger tank, you'll have to increase the filtering much more. The 60 gallon is the same as the 55 gallon other than 2" taller.

I do disagree somewhat on the tank lights if you want plants. I would not expect great plant growth due to 1} growing in gravel and 2} tank stock lights. Tank lights are meant for viewing the fish and not for great plant growth. You might be able to grow some crypts and attach some anubias to wood and perhaps have some floating plants.

But for now I would pass on buying plants and get the test kit which is far more important at this time.

0 Not allowed!
    +1, the test kit is very important.

However I disagree about the plants. I have ordinary gravel and the stock lights that came with the tank and have never had any trouble growing plants like ambulia, cherry leaf and dwarf sag (swords seem to hate my tank though). It just depends what you pick.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I just made some extra money dog sitting this weekend (which is why I was late on responding) so the water test kit is going to be mine by the weekend!

As for lighting, The tank is right next to a window, at an angle though, so I figured some natural sunlight might get through to the plants? I am not sure if this is a dumb idea or not, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the tank at all in a negative way.

Thank you for the info regarding the corys. You are right, I cannot fit that many in my current tank, but I will definitely get the numbers up in my 55-60gal! Would you recommend getting 1 or 2 more of each until then, just so that they aren't so alone? It will be additional cleaning on my part, but I am okay with that if it makes the fish happier.

0 Not allowed!
    Sunlight directly on the tank can cause the water to heat up quickly (bad or even fatal for the fish if it gets hot enough), and can also cause algae problems. Green algae in the water is VERY hard to get rid of once you get it. I got this problem from exactly that -- having a tank in the sun.

1 or 2 more of the cories wouldn't hurt until you moved them to the bigger tank. :) Once you move them, you could get some cool bottom dwellers for your 25 like some dwarf cichlids (such as Bolivian Rams or Apistos) or Kuhli Loaches, or one of the smaller plecos like Bristlenose (come in cool golden or longfin forms), Bulldog or Rubberlip. :)