· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default what to do with disturbed Green Star Polyp coral

0 Not allowed!
    I bought Green Star Polyp and torch coral this weekend.

When I got home both were closed. The torch opened on the same day.
    Maybe two polyps emerging from green star polyp but later closed, now after few days the green star coral is still closed.
    Resources say "Star Polyps close or shrink when the Star Polyps get disturbed"

What should I do?

The photo of image (I can post better quality of needed)

0 Not allowed!
    If your green stare polyp is in a area of higher flow or high levels of light, it likely won't open up for quite some time.

Edit, it looks like you have them about 1 inch away from some green mushrooms, but it is hard for me to tell how far. If they are close, like around one inch, I would certainly move the star polyps so they are at least 2 inches away.

Also, is the base of the coral really a light pink color, or is that just due to the picture? The base of the coral should be a dark purple color
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Clif
    Actually no "coral" was around it, that were my live rocks.

After about 3 weeks the Green Star Polyp coral is not opened up yet.
    Since few days ago parts of the coral turned white (from the pink)!

Should I try to cut and separate the parts that is still pink? Whats should I do?

(The torch that was purchased at the same time is fine)

Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    How much light and flow is on it right now
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, +1 to Cliff. Green stars are generally very forgiving, it's likely either under too much flow, or too much light...well, actually, just too much difference from where it was before you bought it, to being in your tank now.

I don't recommend you do anything to separate the white from the pink. Just move the coral somewhere deeper and with less flow.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First: I actually moved it for a while to the bottom of my tank. It was there for a while and then started to turn white. As condition, I would say not too much light nor heavy flow.

Good News: I just checked it with extra care, about 8 small polyp are open, specially around the edges of the coral

BUT: I noticed VERY tiny white creatures that almost run on the surface of the coral, in the part which became white!

what could be? what should I do?