· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: more ferts

1. Default more ferts

0 Not allowed!
    All my plants are slowly yellowing and turning clear Over the last 3 weeks. I use flourish comprehensive once a week in my 29 gallon I use a 60/40 waterchnge with tap/distilled. Could I use somyhing else with ny fert. Am I lacking something lights are on for 12 hours

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What type of plants and lights?
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Stock flourescnt bulb thay came with tetra 29 gallon hood. 8 Wisteria, 1 java fern 2 kinds of crypt . Crypt is yellowing. Fern is slowly turnig black wisteria extremelyslow growing and getting some yellow brittle spots tank is 18 inches deep 30 inches wide. Suggestions? Don't say different bulb. Say which kind of bulb lol and its a t8

0 Not allowed!
    Wattage and spectrum of the bulb in question? [Should be written right on it]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Most stock lights are generally not that great for plants, but java ferns and crypts are both pretty shade tolerant, and often do ok. However, 18" deep is pretty deep for a single t8 bulb, so I wouldn't rule out lack of lighting... what wattage is the light tube?

What substrate are you using? Also, how long have you had the plants?

Crypts in particular are heavy root feeders, and would benefit much much more from a planting substrate or root tab fertiliser than from anything you pour into your water. They also take a pretty long time to establish, and tend to "melt" when replanted - if you only got them 3 weeks ago, it's pretty normal for all their leaves to go yellow and disintegrate completely (they should grow some new ones in the next few months).

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fern and crypts are 3 weeks old. The wisteria about 5 months. I'll check wattage in an hour and I'm using pebble rock on top and flourite undetneathe it

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It just says marineland natural daylight 24"

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the root tabs for the Crypts.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrain252
    It just says marineland natural daylight 24"
    Does it end in "f18t8" by any chance?

I am guessing you have an 18w bulb which is not adequate lighting and most likely the culprit wrt your wisteria struggling.

As mentioned, The fern and Crypts will both survive [and usually grow slowly] lower lighting conditions [After acclimation] but I do think you are wasting each dose of your Flourish until you get better lighting on that tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah it ends in that.....ok well point me in the right direction for a bulb

Ill pretty much buy w.e

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    by that i mean i have tried finding a higher watter 24" t8 bulb to no avail.

Do they make better Light fixtures, that will work on the lid i have. the lid i have only has a small clear strip in the middlethat the light fixture fits over. IF i buy a doulbe bulb fixture will they shine through this or do i need an entirely different hood as well

could you point me to some options, i want these plants to grow.