· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    The males are almost all dark red (with a few that are very, very dark with rich brown fins). I guess they express themselves with colour.

Yes, that's normal.

All the older females are VERY fat - if the males weren't all so slim I'd think they had parasites...but I think they're just full of eggs. They spawn regularly, although nothing ever survives as they all get gobbled up.

I used to think they might have worms, but after multiple treatments with prazipro, I know that's not true.
    Again, it's a very beautiful tank.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Cheers.

Any critique for improvement is welcome though!

0 Not allowed!
    OK...

My 2 cents. Bit of an instinctive reaction so if anything is unclear just say so.

I think that patch in the first two pics is fine now. Have to see how that develops. I'd keep some height differences in there and perhaps make sure there's no strict border between those two species but some occasional mixes to break the planted border idea. Dutch style features very even borders, often precisly manicured. I don't think you want that style. MAking sure there's some mix between the species will help.

That small stuff on the foreground (p. helferi?) I'd grow that in a dense patch. It will grow denser and then start getting unruly, let it a bit.

Behind the amazon sword, that's vallesneria? I'd leave that. Once that takes hold it's a great way to hide the filter. If anything I'd be tempted to replace that amazon sword by a slightly smaller echinodorus, Echinodorus latifolius comes to mind. But, again, might wanna put that off for a month or two.

50 fish really? Interesting. My tank is an 80cm wide, 125 liter according to juwel. I know I'm a light stocker but perhaps too light. What's your biggest school?

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    I'd keep some height differences in there
    I agree, I'd like something tall in that back left-hand corner and have been toying with the idea of sticking a giant val in there - the flow direction should keep it at the back.

and perhaps make sure there's no strict border between those two species but some occasional mixes to break the planted border idea. Dutch style features very even borders, often precisly manicured. I don't think you want that style. MAking sure there's some mix between the species will help.
    Yes, I think that's excellent advice - I'll be doing that. Dutch-style wouldn't really work in this tank as it's low-tech.

That small stuff on the foreground (p. helferi?) I'd grow that in a dense patch. It will grow denser and then start getting unruly, let it a bit.
    Front right (near the sword) - yeah that's Posgostemon helferi. It melted a fair bit when I put it in but seems to be recovering now. It's a very strange plant I've not come across before. It looks like lettuce!

Behind the amazon sword, that's vallesneria? I'd leave that. Once that takes hold it's a great way to hide the filter. If anything I'd be tempted to replace that amazon sword by a slightly smaller echinodorus, Echinodorus latifolius comes to mind. But, again, might wanna put that off for a month or two.
    Good idea, thanks. I've not had much luck with echinodorus sp. I did have a lovely large Echinodorus Ozelot (apparently hardy) that just struggled from the moment I got it, went brown, died back, regrew weakly, then died completely. Not sure why. I might consider something similar (but not echinodorus)...maybe something purple/red to contrast with the "lettuce".

50 fish really? Interesting. My tank is an 80cm wide, 125 liter according to juwel. I know I'm a light stocker but perhaps too light. What's your biggest school?
    29 cherry barbs. There are 10 otos in there somewhere but you'd never know!

Thanks for that - all those suggestions are really helpful and interesting. Excellent. Thanks for taking the time!

0 Not allowed!
    When it's a tank that matches my tastes in tank design so closely it's no bother at all.

29 cherry barbs? Wow! Got a recent overview pic of that somewhere?

alternative for E. latifolius and you want a bit of red... hmmm.. Alternanthera sessilis possibly (never had that myself). Cryptocoryne wendtii is available in a red variety. Sizewise it should work and it might be the shape you're looking for.

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    The last full tank shot is after the new cherry barb additions (11 females) went in. I can see about 18 in that shot. I'll get more photos at the weekend I reckon.

Thanks for the plant suggestions.

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...3&postcount=51

that one?

I'm just too light in stocking I think.

0 Not allowed!
    That's the one...on a second count I find 22 in that shot.

I think my tank is over-stocked really...but it doesn't look it. The plants hide it...lol.

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    The new fish have been in a week now with no traces of ammonia or nitrite in the days following introduction.

I did a full range of tests today:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5-10 (this is actually lower than my tap water so I'm pleased with this)
    pH 6.8 (it's 7.5 from the tap)
    Phosphates 0.1

I actually have a phosphate reading without dosing it artificially. At last! My plants should be thanking me for the extra bioload.

All newbie fish still alive too...haven't lost a single one. Since the tank was stocked in March this year I've only lost 2...one oto and one sterbai cory (out of 50 fish in total) so that's a pretty good stat. It helps to have an excellent LFS too.

Thank you wise forum for such excellent guidance
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    That is awesome! Can't wait to see a whole tank shot with the new fish.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast