· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default 120 Litre Set-Up...from Lake Tanganyika to South America

0 Not allowed!
    I've really enjoyed reading other people's journals on here and looking at photos of how set-ups change over time. Now that my own tank has been through a few changes I thought I would post its history, up to where I am with it now.

Originally I bought the aquarium to create a small Tanganyikan tank. At the initial stage I got the following:
    Interpet Fish Pod 120 (aquarium with built in lighting - two 15W bulbs and a nice cabinet/stand)
    Eheim Classic 2213 canister filter
    Interpet heater
    A few bags of recycled sand and a large pack of crushed coral
    A large boxful of rustic and green slate

The intended inhabitants were shell dwellers and some small cave dwellers so I needed some space at the front for shells and plenty of rockwork for caves.

Here's how it looked once I had set it up:

It looks quite barren and rather unnatural but the tank was only cycling at this stage. Looking back now I really wish I'd gone to more efforts to hide the filter and heater, but it had been a while since owning a tank so I wasn't very inventive at this stage.

Ok, so after cycling (fish food method...three week cycle) I added a few plants. I know these aren't really true to the Tanganyikan environment but I wanted a bit of colour, and something to hide the filter. I also got shells for the shell dwellers, and here's how it looked:

More to follow...

0 Not allowed!
    I then very gradually (over a couple of weeks) stocked the tank with:

5 x Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold (shell dwellers):

Aggressive little beasties who would nip you if you put your hand anywhere near their precious shells!

Displaying:

Guarding a shell:

More to come...

0 Not allowed!
    5 x Lamprologus Julidochromis (cave dwellers) of what I thought was one species but later realised that I'd got a bunch of hybrids...still interesting and attractive all the same:

Quite shy on their own but dither fish help them with their confidence and they can be quite active in a full tank.

0 Not allowed!
    3 x Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil" (cave dwellers and open water swimmers):

These started off great...a very subtle and beautiful species...but I should have researched them better as when they came into breeding condition they really went to town on the others in the tank. After killing a few Ocellatus I took them back to the LFS to exchange them!

Species only next time!

Still one of my favourites though...stunning fish!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay the "Guarding a shell" picture is my absolute favorite! I'm going to make that my desktop wallpaper at work just to cheer me up when I'm grouchy :P

Those Daffodil fish are beautiful. Too bad they didn't work out :(
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    So here it was after a few months. A few plant changes but looking quite ok:

A rebuild of the set-up after moving house and it looked like this (more slate rockwork and different plants again) and the addition of a few dwarf neon rainbowfish (used as dither fish):

If you look closely you'll see some tiny fish at the top...these were an accident. My boyfriend was going by the LFS and asked me if I needed anything so I asked him to get a few more of the dwarf neon rainbowfish. He came home with threadfin rainbowfish! They were mis-labelled at the LFS! Oops. I kept them for a couple of weeks and then gave them to a friend with a peaceful community tank (NOT with Tangs!)

I think it looked quite good in that last shot, but again, I wish I had made more effort to hide the filter...and why I didn't put a black background on I don't know! I kept meaning to and kept forgetting to buy one!

0 Not allowed!
    This is a closer shot of the cavework (with the Daffodils looking pretty huge here, maturing quickly):

So the tank carried on without any issues for a good while. I upped the dwarf neon rainbowfish to around 12 which I know is too many for a tank that size but the water flow was decent and my water parameters stable...live and learn though. The tank was lively and fun to watch.

I did about a 30% water change twice a week and upgraded my filter to an Eheim Professional 3 (massively over-filtered).

All was good until the Daffodils went evil (as described previously) so I had to take them back to the LFS.

Then about a year or two later one of the rainbowfish got pop-eye. I couldn't save it and didn't have a quarantine tank (literally no space in our flat). One by one they died...from I don't know what...I treated for bacterial and fungal infections. They had various symptoms...sticky out scales (but not bloated), white patches (fungus?), or nothing at all and sudden death. Very worrying. In hindsight I should have euthanised the ones that looked sick to try to save the others. But they all died.

Six months later I only had the Julidochromis left...they seemed completely unaffected by whatever had wiped out the rest of my tank. I thought very carefully about what to do next.