· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cycling progress, thinking of stocking

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm 4 full days into my fish-less cycle now after following lady hobbs' post and adding ammonia and such. I haven't detected any nitrite levels yet, but my ammonia is sitting at about 4ppm.

On to stocking, after going to my LFS in Houston that has a much larger selection of fish than the bigger corporate chains I started shifting my stocking idea in my head from a community tank to a more semi-aggressive oriented tank.

The 2 fish that really caught my eye were Convict Cichlids and Tiger Barbs and a freshwater zebra eel (6'' max length the guy said, much diff from the salt water one). The older gentlemen working @ the store said they should be suitable tank mates together with the appropriate nooks and crannies that plants and decor can provide so they can establish their territories.

I just wanted to check with the community here to see if this guy is full of it or not basically. If they aren't compatible together, I still really like the coloration of the Convict Cichlids and would like to make them the first fish i put in. What would be some other suitable tank mates to go along with these guys?

I have a 38g long tank btw.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think convicts and tiger barbs should go together

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was the zebra eel one of these guys?:

If so, according to some google searching, they can get up to 17" long. Which is waaaay too big for a 38 gallon tank.

I don't know a lot about cichlids so I won't pretend I do, but what I do know is that convicts can be very aggressive when breeding and may take it out on the tigers. I had a friend with a breeding pair of convicts and a school of some kind of tetra (i forget what kind now), and the convicts killed most of them before she realized what was happening.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danifins
    Was the zebra eel one of these guys?:

http://www.fishbase.org/images/species/Mazeb_u0.jpg

If so, according to some google searching, they can get up to 17" long. Which is waaaay too big for a 38 gallon tank.

I don't know a lot about cichlids so I won't pretend I do, but what I do know is that convicts can be very aggressive when breeding and may take it out on the tigers. I had a friend with a breeding pair of convicts and a school of some kind of tetra (i forget what kind now), and the convicts killed most of them before she realized what was happening.
    Yes, it was one of those guys. Guy at the LFS said they only get to be 6'' though. Just gauging opinion on tank mates for convicts, what else could work well with them?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think in that size only one pair of convicts but maybe others have had experience with them

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I checked about six different sites and they all say they get 15-18". Your LFS guy was either guessing or lying, lol. Or i guess there's a chance there could be different yet similar type of eel, I dont know though.

I also read on one of the sites that the eels will not accept anything but live foods. Some might be able to be coaxed onto frozen food but its probably hit or miss. Something to think about and research before getting one for sure. =)