· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Flourish Fertilizer questions

0 Not allowed!
    This was already posted in another thread...I had hijacked it accidentally. I am not sure if this is against the rules, but I am moving it to its own thread and running it so people may see it. I am starting to use fertilizer...on hand I have flourish, flourish excel, and flourish iron. Seachem has this dosing chart at http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf . I wouldn't think I'd have to use everything it calls to use, but can I get some pointers from you guys? They say to fert. everyday?! That seems a bit much...is this what you do? My plants are small and seem to be growing at a somewhat slow rate. I dosed Thursday with 1/2 cap of flourish and 1/2 cap of flourish iron.

Plants: 3 different types of Anubias, banana plants, Marble Queen Radican Sword, Ozelot Sword, Amazon Sword, Red Wendtii, onion plants

I see some definite growth on my larger red wendtii since fertilizing Thursday. I fertilized again today after 50% w/c and vac. 1/2 cap flourish, 1/2 cap flourish iron and 1.5 caps of Flourish Excel (initial dose.) What are your thoughts? I don't want to overdose, but looking at the Seachem chart which calls for daily doses of different fertilizers...don't see how I could overdose by only fertilizing a couple times a week.

7.0 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates
    26 gal. bow w/ temps 80-82
    aquarium gravel/sand sub

I am running 2 filters; stock Aqueon and Aqua Clear 50 and several airstones.

How often do you dose? Do you dose with several at one time...ex: This is Seachem's schedule DAY one:

Flourish 1 cap per 60 US gallons (240 L)
    Flourish Excel 1 cap (5 mL) per 10 US gallons (40 L)
    Flourish Iron 1 cap (5 mL) per 50 US gallons (200 L)
    Flourish Phosphorus 1/2 cap per 40 US gallons (160L)
    Flourish Nitrogen 1/2 cap per 40 US gallons (160 L)

Each day there are 3-5 different fertilizers including, Flourish brands: Potassium, Nitrogen, Trace, Phosphorus, and (Prime at the end of the week.) Now I hadn't planned to buy their whole line, but do I need to throw this much stuff in my tank everyday for my plants to be as happy as my fish? Do you fertilize daily?

Default The short answer is no.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, What are you lacking? You only have to add what they need as opposed to what is available for sale.

There's no need to dose IE: [Insert additive here] if your plants are not missing it in their environment. Admittedly, You won't know what they are missing until they grow on a while and show you. This comes with the territory I am afraid.

I notice you did not mention your lighting, Additional ferts will provide you with a lovely lush world class algae farm if you do not have adequate lighting for the plants to out compete the algae for the nutrients available. Please tell us what you have for lighting.

I use Flourish comprehensive once or twice a week [Memory dependent & I am actually out atm lol] for root tabs I use either the Flourish [Easily available] or the 'Trace' and 'Total' tabs from here.

I have lately been experimenting with some CO2 dosing via an impulse purchase of some API CO2 booster, It seems to work well in the smaller tanks [<29g].

Obviously I don't make this very complicated [Low-tech tanks ranging from low to Med-high lighting] but I don't attempt difficult plants either, Not on purpose anyway.

It's not all that complicated, I promise.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tell you what I am missing is adequate lighting. I am running stock bulb in Aqueon hood. Low light. Sadly, I know less about lighting than I do about fertilizers. I have purchased a glass cover for the tank, but am just so clueless about what to put on top of it. I do not want to run Co2. Sounds like I shouldn't fertilize anymore until I deal with my lighting issue, right?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 26 gal bow front tank which makes it a bit taller too...would that make a difference regarding the amount of light getting to the plants?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What type of bulb? color? wattage?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said...clueless. Stock, 15 watt...color? How do I figure that one out?