· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ideas for a 75 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I've been mulling over upgrading to a larger tank from my 26 gallon for awhile now. I have a few ideas. It will have to include at least 2 Bolivian Rams, 6 corydoras, and 4 oto cats, since I do not want to re-home any of my existing fish. Here are a few ideas I've come up with.

South American Cichlid / Silver Dollar Tank:

2 bolivian rams
    4 oto cats
    8 cory cats
    1 blue acara
    5 silver dollar fish (standard, not red hook)

Dwarf Cichlid / Tiger Barb Tank:

6 bolivian rams
    4 oto cats
    8 cory cats
    21 various-colored tiger barbs

Eartheater Cichlid Tank:

2 bolivian rams
    4 oto cats
    8 cory cats
    3 red-striped eartheaters (geophagus surinamensis)
    5 silver dollars or a school of large tetras

I will probably lightly plant this tank (java fern and anubias only to start) with a sand substrate, and low lighting.

Suggestions? (all of these checked out on aqadvisor but I'd like some more insight before going ahead)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry mods, I meant to put this in fish compatibility!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I think a 75G dwarf cichlid tank would be really neat but I'd stock it slightly differently.

2 Bolivian Rams
    1 Male - 3 Female Cockatoo Cichlids
    15 ottos (only after the tank is established for several months as they need algae)
    8 cory Cats
    10 khuli Loaches
    And your Tiger Barbs

My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    I think a 75G dwarf cichlid tank would be really neat but I'd stock it slightly differently.

2 Bolivian Rams
    1 Male - 3 Female Cockatoo Cichlids
    15 ottos (only after the tank is established for several months as they need algae)
    8 cory Cats
    10 khuli Loaches
    And your Tiger Barbs

Cockatoos = Apistogrammas right? I have heard mixing dwarf cichlids is a bad idea, will they get along with the Bolivians? Are they easier to sex?

I might skip the otos (don't think I'm going enough light to support that much algae), but that sounds like a very fun tank with a lot of activity.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah Apistogrammas, I only got my Agassizii today and it is currently housed with my pair of kribs. I also used to keep Bolivians with my kribs but I rehomed them as I wanted to concentrate on breeding the kribs.

Yeah missing the ottos is probs a good idea, you could maybe replace them with a pleco after the tanks been cycled and running for several months if you find algae a problem
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like SF's idea - apistos are beautiful.

Out of the ideas you threw out, I think the eartheater-cichlid tank would be lovely.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah as much as I would like the blue acara I just don't know if I'm going to get the cichlid interaction that I enjoy so much with just a single big fish.

I know apistos have very pretty, long fins - would the tiger barbs get nippy?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But wait Scotti. 2 bottom dweller species in one tank? I don't like that idea. Would say go for just one specie (bottom dweller) and make a big school of them. Plus, I think apistos and rams also stays on the middle-bottom part of the tank, am i wrong? Oh, and I'm surprised that you didn't say Firemouth in the first line. lol

Good question about the TBs, i am not sure if the barbs will still be nippy with a school that big, but there is always a possibility. not only with the apistos, but also with the ram. So now I am not sure if this is a good idea.

I like the SA cichlids idea. With the acara, why not add multiple keyholes and a severum?
    Last edited by pjaldave; 06-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a severum really be happy in a 75g with another big cichlid? I have heard so many contradictory things about them.

With that stock, I imagine I would have to drop the Silver Dollars and get a school of tetras instead for dithers, maybe Congos or Buenos Aires - even with that option it sounds like it would be pretty close to overstocked or require an aggressive water change schedule.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a severum in a 90 gallon with congo tetra's. The tank is the same foot print as a 75, but only with extra height.

You could have a single rotkeil severum, a school of around 10 congo tetras, and school of around 10 corys with a smaller pleco (like a rubber lip pleco).

With good filtration and a good maintenance routine, that could work

Just another option to think about
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]