· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default a couple of things I'm not sure about

0 Not allowed!
    Here is where I am at re-establishing my 110g FOWLR tank.

The tank has been running for 2 weeks now. I used 20 lbs of live rock and about 80-90 lbs of dry rock. The 2 cannisters are running with no filter media because they add a little extra volume and the return outlets provide a really nice flow down the back of the rocks to the bottom of the tank. Salinity is 1.025, ph has been stable at 8.1, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate is about 20ppm. I'm going to let it run for at least another 2 weeks before considering adding any fish. I figure the skimmer will help to reduce nitrates but I am waiting for a new collection cup that should be here this week. Other than that should I do a water change to reduce nitrates of leave it alone to let it continue to establish? With no new waste being introduced will the BB continue to grow or do I need to add anything?

There seems to ba a little disagreement on the need to quarantene the first fish in a tank. I have a 10g that I am going to use for a QT. What are your oppinions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Beneficial bacteria doesn't grow unless it is fed. My understanding is that live rock becomes dead rock if there is no fish waste to sustain its many organisms.
    While quarantining the first addition is not necessary, I doubt you'd regret doing so. Sudden diseases will be far easier to treat in your 10g.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I would say the first stage of your cycle is finsihed and you have grown the denitrifying bacteria. ALthough you nitrates are a little high, the water parameters are safe for fish. Over the next few week you will start to see the nitrates drop as you grow the nitrifying bacteria.

I would suggest quarantining your fish before adding them to you tank. The reason being is that parasites and diseases carried by fish can hide in your rocks to re-infect your fish latter. Meds can also to the same preventing you from having healthy corals or even inverts depending on the meds you use.

While your fish are in the QT tank, I would suggest keeping the BB fed with only a few drops of ammonia. Just enough to feed it, but not enough to register on a test kit

Below is some more info on QT'ing marine fish. I would suggest giving it a read before making up your mind:

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...new-additions/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. It's amazing how much this stuff has changed in the last 20 years. I feel like a total rookie right now.