· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filtering Question.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone!

quick recap, I have a 36 gallon bowfront well established tank, slightly overstocked at the moment. I have been using a Whisper 60 on it. I have an Aquaclear 70 being delivered today. I will be running both filters on the same tank to avoid any sort of cycling issues. My quick question is, I as a rule do not use carbon in the Whisper unless there is a reason to. So what does everyone think I should do with the carbon portion of the Aquaclear, use another foam block or use additional BioMax? There are two possible long term plans in place. Plan one is that my son is going to be setting up his own aquarium at his place in the next month approx. I was thinking of running both and then letting him use the Whisper to help seed his new tank. Plan two is that I may be getting a larger aquarium and will just use both filters myself.

Carl

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good question! I just took the carbon out from my AC50 and was curious myself. The guy at the LFS told me to pull it and leave the space so I could slip in anything else I might want to run whether it be carbon, nitrasorb or whatever else. I am interested in hearing what those with more experience have to say!

0 Not allowed!
    I think your idea for more biomax or sponges it good

I don't use carbon all the time either, I just use bio-max and sponges in all of my filters.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff.... which would you recommend? BioMax or foam for the open compartment? Or doesn't it really matter?

carl

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I always add more biomax in place of the carbon. This way I can give the sponge a real good cleaning when it needs it and not worry about losing too much bacteria. I also like to have the extra seeded media around, you never know when that awesome tank deal is gonna come along, and it's much more convenient to grab a handful of biomax and throw it in a new filter.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend biomax. From what I have read, it will have more surface area for bacteria to grow as compared with most sponges. Based on my experiances, I would tend to say there is some truth to that
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Default What does the tank need...

0 Not allowed!
    I also run no carbon on a regular basis, Anywhere.

Which I use to double down on [Either bio-media or sponge], In my AC filters depends on the the tank requirements and If I am aiming for more mech or more bio filtration. I do have bio extra Bio in most [not all] of them. [I rinse my AC sponges in tap water so obviously I do not count on them for bio-media lol.]
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 06-08-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    850R, is there a reason you rinse your sponges in tap water inst. of old tank water? Ok, so I think I will add biomedia in place of the carbon which I removed last night. I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks! I removed my carbon so I could fertilize my plants...is that why you don't run carbon?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Everyone! More Biomax it is.....Now to talk the girlfriend into that bigger tank!!!!! lol.

carl

Arrow Good question, Glad you asked :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, There is a very specific reason: They are not my bio-media and It's the only way to get them clean [I use warm water simply for the comfort factor]. They do get a dunk in some dechlor water before they go back.

I am over filtered & I have Bio-media galore in my canister filters [Not to mention the biomax in the ACs] and the sponges are primarily mech filter for me.

Due to this, Any BB that is lost through the sponge rinsing is inconsequential to the stability of my tanks.

Been doing it this way for a long time with no ill effects, I know some others here do the same.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 06-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.