· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

0 Not allowed!
    Keep a close eye on the tang and when the time comes, up-grade or rehome him. It seams like most tangs grow really fast up until they hit 4 to 6 inches, then the growth rate slows down a great deal. I would guess that you most likely have a year or two before you would have to worry about that, so enjoy him until then.

In the mean time, offer him some seaweed to eat as well. Tangs are omnivores and will do best with a varied diet.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I can respect that you try to do the responsible thing with keeping your fish, and I'm not implying that you don't. It's not so much a matter of "the Tang police" (goodness knows I'm not a member of that group lol) but rather a matter of having a fish in a tank that has the potential to be half the length of the tank when full grown. lol You would be surprised at just how easily and how quickly these fish can become stunted.

BTW, tell you wife never to try petting any Rabbitfish you may acquire. LOL
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feed her seaweed prob every other day if not every day. And the I prob feed the green frozen cube quite often. She def gets her share of food and the size of her poop shows it lol.

Iluvmygoldbarb lol ill make sure the wife knows better if we ever get a rabbit fish. What all, if anything, do you guys know about stunted fish? Like what are some signs to look for? I'm sure ill know when the time comes when she's getting too big. I think I'm done stocking now for sure cept for corals :) but I'm still deciding how I want the tank to look. I really like her though. She reminds me of a jack demsy cichlid but with more personality and pretty lips but how she's always at the glass.

0 Not allowed!
    I only really know of three main things to look for, but that is based only on what I have read ans the pics that I have seen. Unfortunately, most of the time when you see them, there usually is at least a small degree of stunting already occurring. I think your best bet would be to carefully watch the fish for signs that he is running out of room to comfortably swim and don’t wait to see symptoms of stunting.

Other things to watch for:
    Changes in appetite
    Changes in color or appearance that is not normal
    Changes in behaviour that is different than what is typically shown
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest it is a bit difficult to tell with SW fish. Ironically, SW will can be stunted even when they do not appear to be too big for the tank. That is why it is so important to keep fish in tanks they will grow into. For example, we took in a 7" Miniatus Grouper that came out of a 90gal tank. The fish had been there for a few years. Since they are not very active fish, they won't really appear too large for the tank, however that fish was undoubtedly stunted as it will get 16" long. On the other hand, I've watched a large Achilles Tang in a 90gal and it was obvious it was cramped for space, as all it would do all day was swim in loops around the front of the tank. Thankfully, that fish ended up in a friend's 8' 300gal tank with plenty of room. There are more factors involved in stunting than simply the size of the tank, however the size of the tank do make those factors a bit more difficult to control sometimes. Diet can be controlled, but water quality will need to be maintained, and the health of the fish is very important. A fish that get's stressed and sick prior to reaching full size will likely end up stunted. We have a Purple Tang at the store that was a rescue fish. It currently resides in a 120gal square coral tank and has been there for 9 years. That fish is only about 2.5" long though. When it came to us it had serious fin damage and HLLE. It took a while but we were able to nurse it back and even though the fins grew back and the HLLE damage was repaired, that fish never grew beyond the 2.5" due to such massive amounts of stress and illness early in it's life.
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 06-18-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added info
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown