· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    72 gallon saltwater

2. Default new refugium and sump setup on my 72 bow front

0 Not allowed!
    I tried for a long time to get algae to grow on my algae scrubber, well kind of half @$$ tried for about a year and couldn't get it too grow. I only had a 20 long tank under my 72 gallon and wanted to switch out my sump for awhile but in order to do it, the tank had to come out of the top of the stand because of the brace in the front center of the stand. I saw a forum of a guy who supported his tank while full and removed the front brace, did what he had to do, then put it back, but I wasnt about to risk 72 gallons of water and its inhabitants to fall all over my floor.
    So the time came for me to change out my substrate from Crushed coral to sand to get control over my nitrates and I took the opportunity to redo my sump too. The final drain lines aren't plumbed complety but its pretty much final. I have my drain line going into a 20 gallon high tank, which I drilled three holes in the side for the water to drain in a 10 gallon tank which houses my return pump and my skimmer, behind the 20 gallon is a 5 gallon tank for RO water that I use with my ATO. 13.jpg15.jpg12.jpg
    72 gallon saltwater

3. Default some new additions and updates to the tank

0 Not allowed!
    I switched out my Crushed coral last week with oceans direct caribea sea, a link to my review and my sump build

I added three 1600 gph jbj power heads with a ocean pulse wave maker which alternates all the powerheads at whatever time intervals I set it at. They are really quiet and work really well to create random flow. For the most part two are on at any given time so i figure I have about 45x turnover rate. once everything gets settled in my tank i may add my 1250gph powerhead back in there which will make it about 60X turnover but I dont have any SPS coral so Im ok with it now.

Here are some pics of my new tank mates. I picked up a platinum clown that I am going to try to breed with my premium onyx Picasso clwon. I got a vlamingi tang for free from a guy who was tearing down his tank. I have two clams, a derasa and a squamosa clam, a male mandarin, and just two days ago I picked up a small tri color bubble tip that is still trying to find its new spot in my tank. Hopefully, the clowns, will stop hosting in my bi-color hammer.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    72 gallon saltwater

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    72 gallon saltwater

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know its nothing too impressive but I am liking my current stocking. I'm trying to stay away from common color corals. My manderin is happy, my vlamingi tang is a really cool addition. Lucy is her name. She likes to be pet and eats like a pig. I moved my sqamosa clam up into the rock work cause lucy will chase pellets on the sand and bump into them and knock them over sometimes. I feed variety of frozen too, just throwing that out there and a few times a week put zooplankton in for my corals.
    Hopefully my T5 lights will be enough to grow my chaeto, Im going to look into other macro algae soon too.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I just kind of skipped to the end but I am really hoping that somewhere in there you upgraded that tank drastically in order to properly house that Tang.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb View Post
    Ok, I just kind of skipped to the end but I am really hoping that somewhere in there you upgraded that tank drastically in order to properly house that Tang.
    if you didn't read it why bother throwing your two cents in? I got the fish for free from someone who had it in the same size tank I have it in. I try to do the ethical thing and not by any fish that will out grow my tank, which is why after a year my fish stock consist of three PJ cardinals, two small percula clowns, a bi-color blenny, and manderin which is also new (which I bought $100 dollars in cocopods and rebuilt my sump to keep a growing population for). I've stayed away from tangs for two reasons, their diet and there size. This one eats seems to eat meat cause I feed mostly frozen variety and he scarfs it down and I know it's meat. He
    Is the biggest fish in the tank and has the whole front, sides, back and most of the top to swim in cause my rock is all in the center. Plus my other fish don't really swim around the tank. The blenny stays in the rock, the manderin is on the ground or within the rock, my clowns swim around some but stay in the corner near the frog spawn and my pjs just float. But thanks for the moral advice.

0 Not allowed!
    No need to get an attitude. Notice I "skipped" to the end, I did read most, just didn't see that it was a free fish. Still doesn't change the fact that I'd recommend finding it a more appropriate home.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We'll see what happens when the time comes. He's only 5 inches now and i was under the impression that the previous owner had her for awhile. Maybe that will be the "push" my wife needs to allow me to get a bigger tank cause my wife loves that she allows her to pet her. I just try to be a responsible pet owner is all. Should've known that the tang police would get me lol.