· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The little brown spots are just diatoms, they come with the cycling of a new tank
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default Quarantine tank was unsucceful

0 Not allowed!
    I set up the qt on monday, tested it, was good, put a fish in there, my ammonia was up some on wednesday. Did a 40% change, retested it a few hours later and every thing was good. I tested my water yesterday, ammonia was about the same. I tested my water today and all my parameters were high. My ammonia, my nitrites and my nitrates were all out of wack. I did a water change, put some ammonia lock in it and set up an air bubbler in the tank, and put some chaeto in there cause I had to leave for awhile, not knowing if it would help any.

I came home a few hours later and my fish was not acting normal, kinda leaning at a 30 degree angle for awhile. So instead of keeping him in the hell he was in, I put him into my regular tank.

Whatever that rice thing was on his side was gone before I put him in my tank. My scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp got a hold of my fish and was doing what they do and was acting as the hospital for the fish. My shrimp tries to get near the fish but my fish just stays out of reach. He seems to be acting better. Here's hoping everything stays good. I might just keep my qt tank up and running from here on out so I don't have to worry about a cycle again. .
    72 gallon saltwater

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's where my star fish hangs out more often than not
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (50.1 KB, 20 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not looking good for my butterfly fish. I don't think I've had a fish die on me in the last year I got back into aquariums. I know it's my fault cause I used the quarantine tank with a filter that has been in my sump for the last month.

I feel bad cause Im damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    72 gallon saltwater

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It died... I want to get a return ar my petco but it doesmt ,ake up for the fsh duying. and even so. idk what I want
    72 gallon saltwater

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I brought the fish back to Petco and blamed the fish dying on the fact that it was returned, prior to me buying it. I brought in a water sample from my main tank to show my water was good even though it was my quarantine tank. I'm so mad at myself that that happened.

Anyways, she's gonna order a new fish of my choice for me, so I have to figure out what we want. It'll be atleast two weeks before I get the fish so hopefully I can get the quarantine tank figured out.
    72 gallon saltwater

7. Default Trading my 75gal fw for a 29 gal SW

0 Not allowed!
    I've been thinking about doing this for awhile but also wanted to see my ghost knife, Jack demsey and green terror reach there full size. I put a add on craigslist to see if any one had a sw tank that they would trade and this guy had this set up for 2 years and its still running.

Cpr backpack skimmer rated for 60 gallons, 30lbs of live sand, t5 lighting, 2 powerheads rated 425gph each.

He is gonna throw some true blue mushrooms and zoanthids in too.

I know next to nothing about corals.

He said he does 5% water changes every 3-4 days so Ill prob keep doing that.

Im excited to get some small lil fish too.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (31.4 KB, 19 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a little update on my two tanks. I tested my water in my nano and the nitrates were crazy high, It's all the same water from the person I got it from.
    I'm going to do a 75%wc tomorrow. I have some red rock in there and it's starting to turn white, and looks like I have some red slime accumulating on the gravel. I'm have a genius plan to crush my CC to fine gravel that I am going to try to do tomorrow too, if it works, I'll be changing it out as well.

I talked to my LFS store owner who specializes in coral and high dollar fish, also where I get my RO water and the RO has 00 TDS in the water which is good.

I talked to him about phosphate in tanks and I need to figure out what I am going to use to test my tanks cause the std AFI test kits read between 0-0.25 and reef tanks need to be at 0.03... So just some more research to do before I make any major decisions on what to put in the tank like gfos and w/e

I stopped by petco like I always do on wednesday when they get there shipment in and another regular was there who is a pretty decent hobbiest but keeps his 75 and 20 all natural/no skimmers, nothing fancy and apparently its flourishing.

The MGR ashley that we get our fish from just started to order some corals (not to knowledgable in that dept) in and recieved a rock that was like 6" by 3" with a bunch(like 30 or 40 buds) of closed up zoanthids.

She was worried they weren't gonna make it and gave it to me half price. $15. Got them home and they all started to open up.

Also there was a maroon fish flirting with two pink tip anemones and really getting into the one and apparently brought food to it earlier so I got the one anememe and fish. plus the return of the butterflyfish that died, so all that for $20 or tech. 43 for what I origanally paid for the fish LOL

I gave up on the qt tank for now but its still running and I put a lil food in it every day. It's kind of a side note for now but I will probably start qt new arrivals eventually..

I added a bunch of red legged crabs last week and read that they dont get along with the anneme so I have to watch for that and I still have the star fish in my tank and they arent coral friendly so he may go in my sump till I figure out what to do with him. The plan is to keep the 72 a fowler but who knows if my wife will like the colors of the corals. She has been looking at them alot for my nano... so maybe she'll want them in her 72, if so then, Ill rehome the starfish.
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-21-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well that didn't last long, The starfish was partly on the polyps. So in the sump he goes. I just added a bunch of newly cured non live rock in there plus some from my tank and the few lbs that have been in there, so hopefully he has some things to forage on.

The sump isn't really set up right now so Its a 20 long FILLED with lr, Cheato and a powerhead and a return pump with a filter over it. LOL Well it does have one small baffle before the return pump...
    72 gallon saltwater

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The new additions. The zoanthids are openning well. Though some haven't opened at all but looks like they will at some point. It's only day two
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (104.5 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.9 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (83.2 KB, 10 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast