· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    umm... were you planning on corals at some point? I hope not with that Butterfly.

Did you get a skimmer yet? IMO, there is no comparison between the Coralife and the Reef Octopus, it's kind of like comparing a half dead Dodge to a new BMW. lol The Reef Octopus is by far the superior skimmer.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure your test kit isn't expired also... inconsistent readings can be troublesome but that is a possible cause.

Great looking butterfly! But ILMGB is right, that'll probably chow on any corals you put in the tank
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kinda wanted to do so soft corals but after talking it over with the wife we are gonna stay Fowler as originally planned. The test kits dont expire for 5 yrs. I decided to wait on the skimmer and try to maximize my refuge with dsb/macro. Also fit as much lr in my drain area and trying not to have to small of a space in me return to worry about evapor ation that much. its my first sump build if it doesnt work or im not seeing the results ie nitrates lowering, then ill redo it or maybe one day ill drain my tank and put the 29 gal sump in there
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    You would most likely still need a skimmer based on the amount of macro algae you could grow using only a 20 gallon as a sump.

You also have to keep in mind the skimmer will help you maintain a very high level of oxygen in the water which will help you maintain your PH and alkalinity as well as helping to keep both those parameters stable which is always a good thing in either a FOWLR or reef tank..

I would suggest to keep watching ebay and crag's list for a good deal on a good brand of skimmer. You'll find a good deal as they are out there, you just have to find them which can take time. You could also look into the Aqua C Ramora line of HOB skimmers. They make a model that should handle your set-up well and not need any space in the sump. I've used one of there HOB skimmers and found them to be a great skimmer. Even new they are not a overly priced skimmer.

That could be another option for you to consider
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    . You could also look into the Aqua C Ramora line of HOB skimmers. They make a model that should handle your set-up well and not need any space in the sump. I've used one of there HOB skimmers and found them to be a great skimmer. Even new they are not a overly priced skimmer.

That could be another option for you to consider
    That's a good idea. Seems like they are priced about the same as the reef octopus 6 I wanted or their external recirculating skimmer I thought about. I'll have to toss that around.

I did get a skimmer with the tank and he said I would need a maxi jet for it to work. I attached pics. The intakes are up high and I have never saw that before. I Dont want to buy an extra pump if I dont have to. I do have a little pump thats rated for 350gph that I tried to hook up to it but I wasn't getting the bubbles cause its not a venturi. I tried to hook up my air pump right after the pump to put bubbles into the water line. I even used a valve to control the airflow. There were bubbles but they were super small. I left it for a few days and stopped. I never had a skimmer before so I just researched and tried to simulate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (165.2 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 28.jpg (21.6 KB, 10 views)
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Your bubbles should be very small. You will definitely want something a bit better than that skimmer though. lol

This is a picture of my skimmer and the bubbles it creates. Yes, all that white is fine bubbles.

That skimmer is a Super Reef Octopus 3000 with the Bubble Blaster Pump. It probably puts out more bubbles then the average skimmer, but that will give you a rough idea of just what it should look like.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    Your bubbles should be very small. You will definitely want something a bit better than that skimmer though. lol

This is a picture of my skimmer and the bubbles it creates. Yes, all that white is fine bubbles.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...b/6b7335b5.jpg
    That skimmer is a Super Reef Octopus 3000 with the Bubble Blaster Pump. It probably puts out more bubbles then the average skimmer, but that will give you a rough idea of just what it should look like.
    I knew it was a waste of time with that skimmer. My bubbles were no were near that. It kind of looks like a home made skimmer but IDK.

I haven't set up my sump yet cause nothing is finalized. but I like the idea of the HOB skimmer. because my sump is only a 20L

Any ideas of what lil white hair like things hanging on the back of the tank are? They are about a mm long or so and are pretty much all over the tank glass. Looks like I maybe gettings some algae but I can't tell if it's a brown or a green. You cant see it from the front but if you look at the glass from an angle on the side you can see lil algae spots. Here are two pics. One is from the front and you can see on the back glass and the other is from the side and you can kinda see the algae I am talking about.
    My sail fin blenny seems to be munching on it. Not sure if hes eating the white stuff or the algae.

Side note they butterfly fish is super active. He ate. He keeps swimming on the side next to the tank where one of my PJ cardinals is hanging out and now my star fish is climbing up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    72 gallon saltwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Edit: the Blenny is eating the white stuff
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I'm having a little trouble making out the algae, LOL must be my old eyes. Does you algae look like it has little bubbles trapped in it ? Something like the below ?

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I'm having a little trouble making out the algae, LOL must be my old eyes. Does you algae look like it has little bubbles trapped in it ? Something like the below ?

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/dino.jpg
    LOL nope not like that. Its lil light brown spots all over. Diamater of a pencil.

I just tested my LR water and its around 5ppm. Im heading out but will do another water change when I get home!
    72 gallon saltwater