· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Curing this live rock and receiving such significant nitrate readings makes me want to set up my quararntine tank and give it a test run. Ive never quarantined anything, so itd be nice to see how fast my tank becomes ready for livestock. Ill prob do that this weekend too.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I would not suggest using live rock in a QT set-up. If you end up getting a sick fish and having to treat it with meds, you really can't put that rock in your set-up, or any set-up with corals or inverts again. The reason being is that the rock will soak up meds like a spong and then slowly leach it out into the water supply over a long period of time.

The below info might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...new-additions/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my rock out of the 5 gallon QT into a plastic lined Styrofoam container with the HOB on the edge of it. I was just curious on how long it would take to put new occupants in the QT tank. We were thinking about getting a more lively fish next, not sure when. Looking at the white tail bristle tooth tang http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=3130 any thoughts on this guy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.1 KB, 15 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default First time using the quarantine tank for a new addition :D

0 Not allowed!
    I stopped by the pet store last week, as I do every Wednesday, to see there new inventory. My wife gets the overall say in what fish actually go in the tank per our agreement to let me start the sw to begin with LOL

I saw the Auriga Butterflyfish, thought it was pretty cool looking in person. I went home and researched it, told my wife about it and off to petco we go so the wifey can look at there new inventory.

They always have cool looking fish that I can't put into my tank do to size or aggression like the dragon wrasse,bird wrasse, marble wrasse or just recently they had two juvenile koran angels etc.

well the butterfly fish was sold by the time I got back so we didn't get anything(this was last week). Today I go in to get some more nasseras snails and what do I see?? The butterfly fish was brought back because it was being picked on.

Skeptical to buy it for many reasons, I got it anyways and got a lil deal on it too.

I set up my quarantine tank, drip acclimated him for about 3+ hours to cause less stress and he seems to be doing fine so far. I like having two tanks next to each other. Makes my entry way look cooler and I can observe both tanks at the same time.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (150.3 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (26.7 KB, 18 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad to see you are using a QT tank. You will never regret it.

It almost looks like he has a little fin damage, but that will heal in time
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I'm glad to see you are using a QT tank. You will never regret it.

It almost looks like he has a little fin damage, but that will heal in time
    I'm glad I am too. My sailfin blenny should have been QT to figure out what he'll eat, etc.. He's just starting not to be shy and is eating the food I put in there.
    Here's two picks that look close to the same. I don't think I see any fin damage. He is munching on a pellet so that is what's in his mouth. Any ideas of what I can put in there for him to hide in?
    I was thinking of a plastic plant or a rock I'm not using in my freshwater tank. Any other ideas?
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (22.1 KB, 16 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (19.3 KB, 14 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I though I saw fine damage on the first pics. Those new clearly show a good looking fish without any fin damage.

Have you finialized what you would like to keep in the tank yet ?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not completely, For a tang we are thinking about the white tail bristle tooth http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=3130

I'm not sure about angel fish because they say they are semi aggressive but if itd be ok then we like the lemon peel angel. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...450&pcatid=450

We, like everyone would like to get a mandarin in the future. But not till I can get my tank established.

since I've had the tank my nitrates have been at 20ppm consistently. I've been doing weekly/week and a half water changes.20-25% I do have some chaeto but it hasn't really grown since in the month I've had it. I just put half of it in my display in hopes it will grow.

I just picked up 4 more nassurus snails to help with cleaning up any un eaten food. now, I have 6 nassurus snails, two turbo snails, 2 blue legged crabs. Not sure if my skunk cleaner shrimp and the starfish count LOL

My next thing I am looking for is some more macro algae to see if that can help lower them.

Do you think I should put a snail in the QT tank?

Any recommendations on community fish? Anyone
    72 gallon saltwater

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Other than the 3 fish listed, We are not really sure but we like unique fish so maybe some other smaller colorful fish. Probably couldnt put in another bigger fish.
    72 gallon saltwater

10. Default Curing Not so LR progress

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my LR that I am curing from the Styrofoam container today to my 10 gallon tank for a few reasons. 1. I wanted to add a powerhead to it and 2. When I went downstairs there was some sitting water on the tote I had the container with the rock sitting on. How it got there? IDK.

I tested my nitrates before I moved the LR to the 10GL and it was still really high 80+ ppm. I've done several water changes already. 8 hrs later after being in the 10GL with the power head the nitrates are 5-10ppm. I tested it twice cause I didn't believe it. But I did do 100% water change so will see how high it goes in the next day or two. Plus I have a hard time reading the tests sometimes LOL
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (21.2 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (34.3 KB, 12 views)
    Last edited by GoWild; 06-12-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    72 gallon saltwater