· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I just started reading your journal and all I've got say is WOW! You have really done a great job with this!!! I have no advice on your poor gourami but you seem to be doing everything you can for him.

I've keep tetras for years and as other people posted "sometimes you get a bad batch". Did you ask the LFS what thier pH was before you purchased? If your pH was higher or lower than thiers this could be the answer. Neon's are realy sensative to big swings in pH. I got a batch of Rummy Noses from foster/smith last year that did the same thing, just kind of lingered and died one at a time till they all were gone. My card got credited back because of thier "live gurentee" but I was still out $35.00 for freight.

Another thing was their red coloring faded? This would be the a sign of the infamas "neon tetra dicease". And one last thing were they eating when you bought them from the dealer? I always have the clerk put a little food in the tank before I purchuse just to see if they are eating.

Just some things to pass on to you because you seem so sad over their loss's.

Your doing a fantastic job so hang in there.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for all your kind words Steeler!

I did not ask about the PH. All the neons I have purchased have been from that store, and in those batches I had only lost 3 out of 27. That's why I'm so surprised about them dying off like this.

Sadly I just put my Gourami down... He was my first fish for this tank, and his name was Akio (Japanese for, Bright Boy). I came home to find him swelled to twice his size, and upside down. He would have died on his own in a half hour or so even if I hadn't put him down. Uhg....

The good news in all that is that I'm going to try GBR's again. I'll go for three I think. 1 Male and 2 females.

Also, the neons seemed VERY normal. No color loss until after their deaths, and from what I could tell everyone did eat. I didn't ask them to feed at the store though. Good idea!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I know you feel bad about the Gourami following your journal and what you went thru with him but now at least you can get the rams you have always wanted.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I'm sorry about your gourami. That poor guy put up such a fight!! And you did too.

But, on a good note, you can now get the other fish, and treat them well in Akio's honor.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    You are right. I am pretty sad. He's the first fish I got teary eyed, and crackly voiced about. I am a little excited about the GBR's, but I hate that he had to go. He was such a handsome boy.

EDIT: My husband buried him in the yard.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I felt that way when our first betta died. I was kinda shocked that I was crying over a fish. But when you think of it, that's how it should be...we take care of them...we love them (in a way, maybe we don't admit it). When they are sick we worry, and when they die we grieve. To NOT feel anything is probably worse.

I'd be sending you a tissue if I could. Poor sweeties, you and Akio
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks bethy. It's the thought that counts. :) You're right. It would be weird not to feel anything.

0 Not allowed!
    Aww man, I'm sorry Mandy. That sucks. =/ I was really hoping he'd pull through.

I think it's a different kind of attachment, when it comes to fish. With any pet, you provide a home, feed them, play with them, etc, but with fish you create a world for them, and they depend on you to be able to live/breathe/eat. It's a much more delicate process, since other animals (besides amphibians/reptiles) can breathe the same air you can, live in the same conditions you can, etc.

While you might have a closer attachment to your dog/cat, since you can literally play/cuddle/sleep with them, and enjoy their company overall, keeping a fish is a bigger responsibility and a smaller scale. You're their vet, food provider, ecosystem creator/maintainer, companion provider, etc. When a fish dies, you can't help but feel responsible and the guilt wells up.

So, it's still a sad event, but in a different way.

Anyway, I hope your luck begins to turn, Mandy. I think GBRs would be cool to keep. If you can manage to get ahold of some Apistos, you might want to check them out. The two I have are awesome. I love watching them and they're quite beautiful.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Kevinva gives good advice as usual. Here are two other Dwarf chichlids you might want to try from the Laetacara family; the dwarf flag and redbreasted. Of course finding them is another issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Vince Lombardi

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so sorry about the gourami. he was a pretty boy. And I got teary eyed too when I lost my betta last month. We both did all we could do but it just happens The rams sound like a great idea.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast