· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default The Big Day!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay everyone. I just added my first fish. I even made a video. Sorry it isn't really great, but here it is all the same.

I was planning on getting my tetras first, but they didn't have them. So I went with the next hardiest fish I could think of. He is doing fine right now. He hides, then he explores intermittently.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree on the Pleco comment, difference variations have different limitations but Lady Hobbs and I went under the assumption that is was a Common Pleco because all you said was "Pleco". I agree though, you could get a little Bristlenose (Bushy Nose) Pleco if you wanted too, they top out at 5-6". Make sure you get the same Cory when you go back to get more, it drives me crazy when people have 5 different variations and complain, "why don't they school"
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I understand. I said just pleco because I don't know what kind I would want for sure. BUT I think I will just get the cories instead, that is assuming that they go alright with Khuli Loaches. The loaches are a for sure.
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Question? So what happened between yesterday and today with your tank? I thought you were going to add ammonia a couple times to make sure it dropped to 0 as well as those nitrites. Adding fish to the tank if there was either of those then it wasn't ready for fish yet.

Another thing, you have cycled so you would get a good bed of bacteria. Adding only one fish and you will began to have bacteria began to die off. To maintain the bacteria, you should have added a school of tetra's. If you were going to stock one or two fish at a time like this, then there was no point in cycling the tank first.

Third thing I saw is that fish in a bucket for an hour without an airstone.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Question? So what happened between yesterday and today with your tank? I thought you were going to add ammonia a couple times to make sure it dropped to 0 as well as those nitrites. Adding fish to the tank if there was either of those then it wasn't ready for fish yet.

Another thing, you have cycled so you would get a good bed of bacteria. Adding only one fish and you will began to have bacteria began to die off. To maintain the bacteria, you should have added a school of tetra's. If you were going to stock one or two fish at a time like this, then there was no point in cycling the tank first.

Third thing I saw is that fish in a bucket for an hour without an airstone.
    Okay, the levels dropped and were correct so no problems there.

I was going to add tetras, but the store didn't have the ones I wanted as I said before. They are calling me Monday to order a school of Cardinal Tetras.

With the airstone, I wasn't aware that I needed one to acclimate.
    Last edited by MandyK; 06-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Anytime fish are in a bucket or a container without oxygen, it needs to be added.

0 Not allowed!
    Got ya. I will def remember that for next time. I've crammed my head so full of fish info over the past four weeks that I don't know how I missed that one. I mean I even have two airstones, one of which I could have used without a problem.

Also, I think my hubs wants to try your suggestion about moving the bricks to the bottom and tying them. MUCH safer idea. Those stupid things have been in there for 3 weeks and still aren't water logged enough to stay down.

Any encouragement would be appreciated considering I've done everything I feel I can to do this correctly...

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I do not feel that cycling was pointless. Cycling was done to keep from having to do a cycle with fish, and therefore causing them to be miserable. If I have read correctly on this subject the bacteria will adjust to whatever amount of fish I have in the tank. If bacteria die, then they will grow again when I add more fish which will be late next week.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, my husband asks me why I keep looking at my fish. "You know he's in there right????"

I feel like my entire month's work is resting on this little guy.

I need a name for him!!

0 Not allowed!
    Fishless was not pointless, of course. But going threw 5 weeks of that and then adding one little fish was kinda of all for naught. LOLOL

I hope the wood is not pine? Pine is soft wood and may never sink. But any of the hard woods should be fine as long as it's dried out a bunch. You could wrap fishing line around the wood and the brick and put it in the tank brick down. Shove some gravel around the bricks or even stack up some stones to hide it. You really don't want that block falling into the glass or on a fish.

Another thing that works is some ceramic floor tile or thin slate. Drill a hole thru the middle of it and then run a stainless streel screw up through the hole into the wood. Just give the wood a platform. Stack some rocks around the tile or slate to hold it down and done.