· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OT: Want to get into Snakes

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I know this is "off topic" but I think I might want to get into snakes, my cousin has two and I really like snakes in general.

I was wondering if anyone had a snake forum that they are a part of that I could check out. And I guess regardless what are some cool "starter" snakes (please no corn snake suggestions)

thanks all
    -ice
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Demjor19 is the one to talk snakes with. He's our local snake man.

(I moved your thread)

0 Not allowed!
    When I first got into snakes, I didn't have internet access. This was back in the early 90's.

The first snake I got was a Cook's tree boa. Gorgeous thing... lovely arboreal constrictor. I read all I could at the library about boa care and feeding.

The thing is, the cooks tree boa was one of the worst constrictors for beginner. They are highly aggressive and take a long time to get adjusted to handling. I eventually did it but not after many many many bites. It was only years later that I learned that they are not recommended for someone just getting into snakes.

Anyway, my point is, there are different species of snakes recommended for a beginner based on what they are looking for. If you do some basic searches on google, you will find a lot of information with suggested species and their attributes. Then its up to you to see which one is the best fit.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks hobbs!

Flame, I'm not that worry about being bit, infact I like my hands to be apart of the pet experience, once the animal realizes that a) my fist doesn't fit its mouth b) I'm a friend, not food I feel like its a better experience

I often stick my hand into my tank, the fish come up to explore my hand, I guess they try to nip sometimes but soon realize there is nothing for them, some of them even swim through my hand.

If I got a snake I want one that is very active and playful, I'll give it two fingers to try and bite, I think I would be more concerned/afraid of it "snapping" at me, but I assume like other animals once it realizes that I take care of it and that it can't eat me that should only rarely happen

One of my big questions is: The tank doesn't have to be bigger the snake, right? From asking around and looking stuff up I'm pretty sure a 2 foot snake doesn't need a two foot long tank (for ex)

0 Not allowed!
    Simply saying ...you want a snake is not a good place for us to start with suggestions.

I breed Ball Pythons, own a big female Boa Constrictor, and a SD Reticulated Python.

Ball Pythons make great starter snakes. Boas are okay starter snakes, but get on the larger side and can get pretty testy. The Retic is in no way shape or form a good beginner snake.

You say you don't like Corns...Do you dislike all colubrids? Do you like Pythons? Boas? Do you have a min/max size in mind?

We just need a place to really start.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kinda feel like I would end up with a Ball PYthon even though I don't think I want one.

Thats what my cousin and his GF have, they have a reg and a female yellow belly that she wants to read, I would love a white one (she said some should be white)

I heard Kings are decent starters but don't really know. I think I like the thicker snake better then the little skinny ones.

You have a forum your on? Maybe I could find more info there

EDIT: BTW Demjor, seems like you have many gars, whats the smallest one and how small does it stay? thanks again

0 Not allowed!
    I've had two ball pythons and I loved them! They were both so sweet. Neither of them ever tried to bite me. I also had a corn and he was beautiful, but he had the worst temper. I could never hold him.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57
    I kinda feel like I would end up with a Ball PYthon even though I don't think I want one.

Thats what my cousin and his GF have, they have a reg and a female yellow belly that she wants to read, I would love a white one (she said some should be white)

I heard Kings are decent starters but don't really know. I think I like the thicker snake better then the little skinny ones.

EDIT: BTW Demjor, seems like you have many gars, whats the smallest one and how small does it stay? thanks again
    If you don't want a Ball Python, then I wouldn't get one. There are white ball pythons, I believe they are called Ivory but I could be wrong. Or maybe you are referring to Albino. I have a ball python and I think he's awesome but I have to say, if your looking for something active, this is not the snake you're looking for. My ball python is pretty much a pet rock.

Captive bred King snakes are good beginner snakes. If you like something a little girthier, maybe a Rosy Boa. I don't have a ton of experience with Rosy's but I've heard they're pretty simple to care for.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57

Normal x YB will give you normals and YB's. In order to get the (Ivory) "White Snake" you need to breed two YB's together. When pairing two YB's together you have a 25% chance of hitting the Ivory gene...Or Homozygous YB.

We are pairing a Pastel Lesser x Mojave this year. With any luck we will produce some Blue Eyed Leucistics (Blue eyed white snake)! We also work with Albinos...Which are actually orange/yellow and white.

We have 42 Ball Pythons and I love them all!

I'm on Ball-Pythons.net. It's very informative and pretty well moderated.

Yes, Gars are my favorite fish! The smallest would probably be the Shortnose Gar, but they are also the craziest and one of the more difficult to keep. One of the better "pet" Gars is the Florida Gar. They are harty and stay at a pretty manageable size. Count on any true Gar species to reach at least 18-20 inches at some point in their lives.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats what I figured with the Gars, would love to have one but probably not lol. no tank big enough :( I'm getting a 75 but I guess its a no go lol (kinda figured that already)

damn that blue eyed guy sounds amazing!

Yeah I was thinking Ivory, compared to albino,

oh she's under the impression that the YB x Normal = 50% Norm 25% YB and 25% Ivory :( I'll have to inform her

I'm probably going to an Expo with them so I could try to find something there.

I do like BPs, a lot, just wasn't sure if I wanted to go with something super common (at least I think they are, maybe they aren't) I'll also look into that Boa!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast