· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: Do you think this lighting fixture is good enough?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 42.86%
  • No

4 57.14%

Thread: Will This Work?

1. Default Will This Work?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm about to start growing live plants in my 20 gallon high aquarium and I am currently using 1 of these light fixtures that clamps on the top of my aquarium. If this works I will probably get a 2nd one so I have enough lighting for my plants. I would use the daylight 6500K compact bulbs in these fixtures. Will these work? What other fixtures would you suggest that are pretty cheap?
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    It should work though it is an inefficient method of lighting.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Wink Flourescent Aquarium Light

0 Not allowed!
    Use fourescent aquarium light (2) it will generate less heat be more efficient. The clamp on light could easilly fall into tank and be a hazard. The hot bulb could also get splashed by water and pop sending glass in tank not to mention the chemical coating on the glass.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you give me an idea of what would be better? I've had a hard time finding something that isn't a huge hood that is over $100

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stpsfwd
    Use fourescent aquarium light (2) it will generate less heat be more efficient. The clamp on light could easilly fall into tank and be a hazard. The hot bulb could also get splashed by water and pop sending glass in tank not to mention the chemical coating on the glass.
    The op stated that he is using fluorescent (compact fluorescent lighting) bulbs. I have used this before over small tanks, and it works, but a lot of light is lost due to the shape of the bulbs themselves.

You can check out the oddysea line of high output T5 fixtures. They arent the best quality compared to some of the other brands, but I have used one for a few months now with no issues.

http://www.aquatraders.com/T5-Aquarium-Lighting-s/9.htm
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 06-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

6. Wink Yes

0 Not allowed!
    Any large home improvement store should have cheap light fixtures, with and without on off switches. Most aquarium bulbs are t-8 type find a fixture that fits the top of your aquarium. If it's not an exact fit you can use wood strips to suspend the light over the tank. Make sure to use aquarium bulbs as they provide the spectrum of light plants need.

0 Not allowed!
    I have used one of those on a little 5 gallon when trying to start some plants in it. You need to use low light plants and perhaps some floaters. It clamps on very tight. Not the most professional way of doing things and doesn't make for a beautiful set up but will work.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.