· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: dumb ?

1. Default dumb ?

0 Not allowed!
    What's the main differnce between a reef tank. A nano reef tank and a marine sw tank. Very very slowly I want to stat a sw tank my fiance always wanted a jely fish tank with vitals. Could any one elighten me I can't do a 150 gal tank but if its do able in a 55 or sonething that would be great she finds jely fish amazing and I wouldn't mind a bright colored fish or two

0 Not allowed!
    The terms marine tank and SW (salt water) tank are both very general discriptions to discribe a saltwater aquarium

A reef tank is a term used to describe a marine tank with corals and live rock in it.

A nano reef tank is just another way of saying a small reef tank. Usually, most people use that term for tanks that are around 30 gallons or less

I would suggest reading up on jelly fish in marine aquariums to find out how big they get, what size of tank they would need, and what you can/can not keep with them before picking a tank size. You don't want to get stuck with a tank that's too small.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Jelly fish are an advanced form of marine life to be kept in captivity.

I would reason that depending upon the species obtained that they are about as difficult as some coral species.

These animals offer very little insight into what exactly their condition is. It can be hard to tell if you are doing the right things to keep them in prime condition.

When starting into something I would always advise to travel a bit down a familiar path and then to get into the more difficult things as you progress. I would not want to see you try jellies and fail, become disheartened and give up on all of the life.

I would recommend learning the art of keeping saltwater fish alive first, then keeping them in prime condition and then progressing into the jellies and possibly trying some other inverts prior to the jellies.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to above comments

Jellyfish tanks can't have any corners because they will become stuck. A non-corner tank will be expensive. I have seen some done but no price listed.

If you add jellyfish you need to learn about the various species. Most will require a chiller because the water temperature they live in is cooler than your average aquarium fish. Chillers can add up in price especially with larger aquariums.

Jellyfish tank is only for jellyfish. Add any other fish and they will be stung/paralyzed and consumed.

I would start with a 55g or 75g and plan out what you would like in advance. There are lots of colorful fish you can choose that will be well suited for that size of an aquarium. Just remember the pet store has them small and they will grow. Choose the fish that will not out grow your current tank. Just because the LFS says something... double check what they say.

The forums is a great place to read up on tanks, fish... etc etc.. and ask questions.

Good luck!
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well thank you i wasnt sure how difficult in the SW world Jellyfish ranked. Its something shes always talked about and i told her i know nothing about Saltwater so i definately dont want to just jump into it. My next tank ill be getting will be about 50 gallons might be slightly smaller or slightly larger but in that ball park. Ill look into getting some hardier fish for that tank with some liverock/corals first and keeping them in check. If all goes well then maybe ill venture into the world of jelly fish.

Any tips tricks for salt water any thing you guys think usually help beginners

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain252
    Any tips tricks for salt water any thing you guys think usually help beginners
    In a word, research.

I would suggest reading everything you can get your hands on. IMO, when you take your time to research first, marine tanks are not any more difficult than any other type of aquarium. You just need to learn about them first.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]