· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ro filters

1. Default ro filters

0 Not allowed!
    Ok looking for suggestions and ideas on a filter for the sink I use for water changes. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a startup system. Anyoe use anything to reduce nitrates and ammonia outthe faucet I saw a couple smaler to filters that would workforce about 100 gllons beore they would need to be replaced and I only have a 10 gaping tank. I don't want tp lose the ability for fast changes with my python

0 Not allowed!
    There are small RO filters for less than a hundred dollars that would be ideal for a ten gallon tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikro-Delta-Po.../dp/B000WE8470
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So something like that the filter only needs to be changed after 1500 gallons or that's he membrane? That seems good are they cnstantly running or can u choose to turn it off like to shave I don't need pure ware can u select betwem it cleaning and not

0 Not allowed!
    RO units do not run all of the time. You can set the up with their own tap so they only run when you open the tap for some RO water. You can also add a shut off valve as well. The link I posted below might help you better understand how RO units work. The length of time the membrane will last for really depends on the quality of water in your water supply

I would be careful using pure RO water in your tank. As the RO unit removes almost all of the dissolved solids from the water, it can make your PH un-stable. A lot of people will mix RO water with tap water to help prevent that,

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/rodi-units/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Only crappy thing is it seems it takes about 1 hour for a gallon so that kind of blows lol. So doing a 50% change I could do like 2 gallons of ro and 3 gallons tap
    Last edited by jtrain252; 06-06-2012 at 05:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    You can get RO units with booster pumps that will make them work / flow almost like your tap. But that would cost more than your listed budget.

Perhaps you could find a used unit and just buy new filters for it, it could be a cheap way to get a unit with a booster pump ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would it make more sense to find a shower unit so the bad water is utilized for shower nd the good water could be ran down to a tub of sorts. For storage. Or should I just start buying distilled nd doing 50 50 on changes cause at most I change 5 gallons so that's only 2.5 of ro needed

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Go to the home center store. They have a selection of units.

You should use your RO a least every two days or the water inside goes amoxic and ruins the carbon in the pre filter that protects the membrane. You should never use full RO with out adding back in a trace elements product and a buffer stabilizing product. Straight RO will kill the fish. It pulls out the calcium from their bodies and this causes brain damage from calcium depletion in the brain. It affects the brains ability to provide neuro receptors which it forms from calcium.

You can put the RO on a very small drip to keep the unit from souring.
    The membrane can be ruined by chlorine or chloramine and it is the expensive item in the equation. Keep your carbon cartridge fresh to avoid damage to it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do instead of a unit would it be more cost affective to just buy 2 gallons of disilled water from a store once a week when I do a five gallon water change since then half the water would be tap

0 Not allowed!
    If you are planning to set-up some type of salt water tank, I would suggest getting a RO unit.

You don't need RO water for a salt water tank, but it will certainly help you avoid a LOT of potential problems when used for salt water aquariums. I will never regret getting my for that reason