· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

0 Not allowed!
    Had zebra danios, used them to cycle my tank when I first got it -- hated them. xD They broke up the colours of the neons and ruined the effect.

http://redwoodaquatics.co.nz/ <--- This is what my LFS stocks. This is basically what I have access too, apart from occassional other stuff that comes in and a few breeders around the place. As far as killifish I think the only ones I have access to are Golden Panchax/Wonder Killies. Which I think would eat my neons (might consider them for the 70g though...).

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I had harlequins they tended to stay up at the top. And im still not convinced a Butterfly Fish wouldn't fantastic in your tank, if your into that kind of fish. He would be in butterfly fish heaven with your plants and low flow.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Plus, they have it at your store.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty sure a Pantadon Butterfly would terrorize my poor neons... Although I've been thinking about getting one for my 70G.

If I might move the discussion onto my 70g for a moment...

Someone in my area is selling Golden Panchax REAL cheap. I love the look of these but can't seem to find much info on them. She only has males for sale, and only 5 of them. Do they live in groups or would I keep 1 male individually, since there are no females?

Also, would a 70g have room for both Golden Panchax AND a Pantadon Butterfly fish? I understand they are both top-dwellers but at 10cm I'm confident the Panchax would be too big for the Butterfly to eat. Or would there still be problems with that many top-dwellers in a 70g?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First the Golden Panchax would be the only male in the tank because they are aggressive towards other males especially with no females in the tank. The Butterfly fish is really aggressive to me I still think there would be an issue in there with even 1 Killi but that is me. I would not want to take the chance. PS read up on if the Golden Panchax will eat the neons; killifish that get bigger can be great hunters.
    Last edited by es31710; 06-08-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im not sure how Butterfly's got this reputation for being aggressive, it seems like everyone says it. I bet none of them have ever owned one. I have and they are not. They are one of the most placid fish you can own as long as he's the only butterfly. They are opportunistic hunters with huge mouths that will eat anything on the surface in front of them. I dont think I have ever seen a neon hang out on the surface, I just dont see them being in a position to be eaten. I mean the butterfly's literally cant see below the water, they have no clue whats even in the tank to be aggressive towards it.

Now I think one would take a killie in a heart beat, so I wouldn't mix those, I also think a golden wonder is allot more likely to eat neons then a butterfly.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    First the Golden Panchax would be the only male in the tank because they are aggressive towards other males especially with no females in the tank. The Butterfly fish is really aggressive to me I still think there would be an issue in there with even 1 Killi but that is me. I would not want to take the chance. PS read up on if the Golden Panchax will eat the neons; killifish that get bigger can be great hunters.
    I assumed that they would be more likely not to fight since there were no females to fighter OVER but okay. And this is for my 70g, which does not have neons.

Im not sure how Butterfly's got this reputation for being aggressive, it seems like everyone says it. I bet none of them have ever owned one. I have and they are not. They are one of the most placid fish you can own as long as he's the only butterfly. They are opportunistic hunters with huge mouths that will eat anything on the surface in front of them. I dont think I have ever seen a neon hang out on the surface, I just dont see them being in a position to be eaten. I mean the butterfly's literally cant see below the water, they have no clue whats even in the tank to be aggressive towards it.

Now I think one would take a killie in a heart beat, so I wouldn't mix those, I also think a golden wonder is allot more likely to eat neons then a butterfly.
    I guess it depends on the individual fish too, my friend has one and it's started picking off his neons now that it's full sized. I wouldn't risk it, if I got one it'd go in the 70g with my Congos.

Would it really take a Golden Panchax Killi? They're 10cm, so that's only slightly smaller than the Butterfly. Can it really eat something it's own size?

Again -- this is for the 70g. No neons present.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I doesn't need to be able to eat it to go for it. Like I said they can't really see and will instinctively snap at anything that touches their mouth, kinda like a gator. I remember a Butterfly owner who had a school of full grown Cory's in his tank, now a Butterfly could never eat an adult cory. But cory's do fly to the surface to grab air from time to time, I think you see where this is going. One day out of a one in a million chance a cory accidentally bumped the Butterfly's mouth, it chomped. The cory's spine was broken instantly. That's why I wouldn't trust the killies, to much chance for an accident.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finaljenemba I did not realize that butterflies are like that; thanks for clarifying that and ya if you have the butterfly I would not put any top dweller with them. And even though there is only one male they will still hurt each other from what I believe but in a 70 gallon you might be able to get away with 2 males if you do not get the butterfly or try and find 1 male and 3 females from another person. With Killies you really do need some floating plants just to keep in mind.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank