· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: scarlet badis

1. Default scarlet badis

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, went to my local fish store today and they just got a shipment of a fish called the scarlet badis. The guy told me they are a rare fish to get and they dont get shipments on them very often. does anyone have any information about them? are they easy to care for? hardy? do well in a community tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I will tell you ahead that I have no personal experience with this fish, but I used to consider
    them for my tanks myself so I am welcome to share some research.

The scarlet badis does not seem to be much of a community dweller, because it is so small, gets easily outcompeted for food and mostly will only accept frozen or live foods versus prepared (convenient) foods. So you may want to keep them on their own or with tiny peaceful schoolers like microrasboras, etc.

They come from soft waters but are supposedly unfussy (as opposed to most dwarf cichlids) and you should be able to keep them at as low as 20°C. due to their timid nature they do appreciate plenty of cover. The males are territorial and should not be kept together in a small setup.

On a last note, many sources claim that most imported fish will be males, so you likely will not have any females if you bu a couple.

0 Not allowed!
    Profile:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/

madagascariensis did get most of the profile correct.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking little fish there!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    There was a guy here one day saying his female died and when he tried to replace the female, his store only sold these fish in pairs. Since he didn't want 2 males and 1 female, he was unable to get them. I found that interesting. All I know about these fish is that they like live foods.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    the fish are considered for a species only tank usually.. They are aggressive, picky on food (the most common death is starvation) and like live food like what was mentioned... I was heavy into these little guys for a species only 10gal but the dream never materialized.
    Last edited by Sandz; 06-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs A gift - Tolley A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey You've been a great help, and a great addition to the forum! - harls_aussie For getting into SA  cichlids! - MCHRKiller 
    For all your support and kind comments. - Brookfish merry christmas - cocoa_pleco Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Have a Merry Xmas! - Demi ^_^ Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey merry freakin Xmas! :D - MCHRKiller Thanks for the help! - cer Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Happy Holidays! - korith Thanks for all your help - your a great mate! - Demi ^_^ thanks for trying to help me ID - The Red Severum thanks again! - The Red Severum You are an awsome person of my AC family - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed in speices only tank. Mine worked great on their own. Never had a issue with feedin them. They would anything that put in front of them.

Unfortunatly mine died while I was shifting and have not replaced them.
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.