· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Can Marine fish and Tropical fish be kept in the same tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a tropical tank, but I am looking to invest in a marine tank as marine fish look stunning, especially with the coral and sand in the tank, it gives you that ocean feel. I was just wondering if marine fish could reside alongside my tropical fish in the same tank? If not then I will have to look to sell my tank, along with my fish that currently reside inside it. Could someone please tell me if they can or cannot reside together. Thank you

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Are you seriously asking that question? That's like asking if you can keep you goldfish with your hamster.

There are some (very few though) species that can bridge some of the gap between freshwater and saltwater - salmon, tarpon, bull sharks. In the aquaria trade some fish start off life in freshwater then move to saltwater like some species of eels.

On the whole though your angelfish or plecos CANNOT be housed with you bangaii cardinal fish or whatever you keep.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samgari
    I currently have a tropical tank, but I am looking to invest in a marine tank as marine fish look stunning, especially with the coral and sand in the tank, it gives you that ocean feel. I was just wondering if marine fish could reside alongside my tropical fish in the same tank? If not then I will have to look to sell my tank, along with my fish that currently reside inside it. Could someone please tell me if they can or cannot reside together. Thank you
    Marine fish are called that because that's the kind of environment they do the best in and the type of water they are found in - you can't just think "It's a fish - why should it matter?"
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey you guys would be surprised by how often this question is asked.

If you had a shop you must know your clients or ask them what type of tank they have.

Why do you think a forum like this is so popular? It's because the people working in fish shops don't exist any more.

So to answer the question, no. They are completely different situations. Marine fish live in water that has salinity range of between .019 and .022 salinity reading as registered with a hydrometer. Fresh water fish have zero to trace salinity in their water. Most brackish fish tend to be able to tolerate either yet never really thrive when placed into one or the other. The transitions are what really keeps them in good condition.

Never be afraid to ask.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels
    Hey you guys would be surprised by how often this question is asked.

If you had a shop you must know your clients or ask them what type of tank they have.

Why do you think a forum like this is so popular? It's because the people working in fish shops don't exist any more.

So to answer the question, no. They are completely different situations. Marine fish live in water that has salinity range of between .019 and .022 salinity reading as registered with a hydrometer. Fresh water fish have zero to trace salinity in their water. Most brackish fish tend to be able to tolerate either yet never really thrive when placed into one or the other. The transitions are what really keeps them in good condition.

Never be afraid to ask.
    Its a troll! Never be afraid to stomp one.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to smaug, seen it a mile off.

Only time that question is understandable is when people buy eels, puffer fish and sorts that can be kept in freshwater for a short while but then require a brackish environment later in their life cycle.

The OP's question was just . . . . . . . . well im keeping it polite so I shall leave it there
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Mollies and guppies can be acclimated to brackish or full saltwater conditions.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff