· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Can't find a new fish. Should I worry?

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a new maroon clown fish last night and he was was swimming around quite a bit last night as well as this morning. I fed them before I left for school (gone for 3 hours) and when I got home I can't find him. The first thing I did was test my water because I added two other fish too and everything is normal. Its a 72 bow front with around 100lbs of live rock and there are alot of hiding spots. I'm just curious if I should move all my rock around to find him or should I just trust he's ok. I can see behind most of the rock and I can see in quite of few of the other hiding spots. He's just a lil guy about 1-1/2 or so. He's not in my overflow or behind my tank (not sure if they are jumpers) What should I do?
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    He could be hidding, still getting used to his new home

What are the other fish you have in there with him ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you qt first? How about an acclimation time by using the drip method or some other proper way? If you just dropped him in,then expect the worse.

was it from this tank you posted about just 5 days ago?
    I just set up a 55 gallon for the first time and I was in the same boat you are. I just used my canister filter or you could use a HOB filter, heater, lights. Use Reverse osmosis water. I went to my local rainbow and actually filled up 25 1 gallon jugs for 39 cents a gallon. It says 69 cents if you use new jugs but they didn't charge me for that, and I brought them all back and made a second trip to fill them up. So for about 14 dollars I filled my tank. I plan to pick up more five gallon buckets with lids to make it easier. Salt, I used instant ocean, I bought the 46lb one for $50 but my local petco, but check the prices cause it's a little cheaper at petsmart. They both offer there own brand name salt but I was Leary about it, but it was cheaper per lb at petsmart.

Live rock is probably the most expensive part. All my LFS offer it about $10 lb but during this adventure I found more LFS that I didn't know about and one near me actually has it for $6 a lb so check around.

Petco sells it by the sizes and I think that may be a inexpensive way to get the live rock in your tank to get it cycled. Check craigslist for ACTUAL live rock that is cured in a tank, not rock that is out of a tank. but again this adds up.

Salt $50, water $15 more for you, LIVE rock $75+ ( I started with only 15lbs but quickly added more ) The rock lb for lb doesn't look like alot in the tank. Power head(s) (check amazon). Saltwater master test kit (amazon) Hydrometer (petsmart) I have LED lights (aquatraders.com) to really show the colors. Eventually you'll want to get a protein skimmer because I am noticing build up on top. I currently use a fishnet to take the stuff off.

I don't have any substrate because I don't know what I want yet. Just make sure you get true live rock and add fish :) Hope I helped

To sum up, CURED live rock, RO water, Powerhead, salt, and fish. I had saltwater in the tank for 3 days, then added 15lbs of cured live rock I got off of craiglist from an established tank, picked up fish later that night (Pajama cardinal, and got a red chocalate chip star fish, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and two turbo snails for free from petco cause someone
    dropped them off there when I was buying my fish.) picked up more live rock then next day, added a power head a day later, Tested my water today and all my parameters are normal ie nitrate, nitrite, amonnia, and PH
    Last edited by smaug; 05-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What are the other fish you have in there with him ?[/QUOTE]

I used the drip method for about 2 hrs, the put them in a specimen container till the water reached the same temp. Then netted them out and put them in the tank. Right now, I have 2 pajama cardinals,sailfin blenny, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and two turbo snails and a red chocolate chip star fish.

The new fish are the sailfin blenny, the second PJ cardinal and the maroon clown that I can't find. I still can't find him
    72 gallon saltwater

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    New fish hide,especially when very stressed. You have added far too much stock too quickly as well.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    New fish hide,especially when very stressed. You have added far too much stock too quickly as well.
    +1
    that amount of fish should have taken weeks to add, after at least a couple weeks of tank cycling.

watch your params closley to make sure the tank can hold that bio load.
    if you dont have ro/di water at home, you should stack up with 40% in case something bad happens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by itaydadon
    +1
    that amount of fish should have taken weeks to add, after at least a couple weeks of tank cycling.

watch your params closley to make sure the tank can hold that bio load.
    if you dont have ro/di water at home, you should stack up with 40% in case something bad happens
    He got stress18 hours later? Cause he was swimming normal and he even ate this morning. I am going to pick up some more water tomorrow.

I couldn't help but to look for him and moved all the rock and he's not in there. He's not in my built in overflow. He's no where around the tank, under the tank, or within 5 feet of the tank. I do have dogs and they may have scarfed him up before I noticed but they are kenneled while I am away. However, I have a canopy on the top so the back is the only part exposed. I am pissed/sad/mad I can't find him... He was even eating this morning too. maybe he got stuck in one of the rock holes.... I had an freshwater angel get stuck and when I got him out he didn't survive but a few days. Oh well, I guess...
    72 gallon saltwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Does it matter that all the rock came from established tanks? 40lbs of it came from a tank that was set up for 2 yrs and the other 70 lbs was cured prior to being in the tank and was up set up for a few months before it came to my house?
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    No it won't matter. As soon as you take live rock out of water to move it from one tank to another you start to get some die-off which will cause a ammoina spike. Its not a matter of "if" it will happen, just a matter of how big will the spike be and how long will it last.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    No it won't matter. As soon as you take live rock out of water to move it from one tank to another you start to get some die-off which will cause a ammoina spike. Its not a matter of "if" it will happen, just a matter of how big will the spike be and how long will it last.
    It was a small spike in my 55 before I added fish and after I set up my 72 imy ammonia went to about .50 but quickly went down to 0 before I added the 3 fish two days ago. My nitrites have always stayed at 0 and my nitrates were at about 20ppm. I am going to try to do a better job on monitering my PH to get an accurate feel of what levels it stays at. It has never been to bad, but I need to step my water quality game up if I want to maintain a nice tank.

All the fish are in there but him....
    72 gallon saltwater