· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    My guess is that the guppy's are stressing the neons. Without actually watching your tank it's difficult to tell. I've never had problems with neons but I know many people do. I think it would be better to add another guppy or two for now and wait on the neons, but if you are set on the neons all you can do is keep replacing them.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking that stress might be the problem as well. They seem to stay separated most of the time except during feeding time then it gets crazy. Most of the time the tetras just stay in one corner and instead of moving gracefully, they seem to twitch when they want to swim. Is that normal?

I do love the way they school together but if it's gonna come down to them dying so frequently, then I don't want to put the fellas through that.

3/4 guppies look to be doing great, the one which was bullied sort of stays in the corner around some plants. I'm worried because he doesn't move much and his tail isn't spread out like the others. When it's feeding time he'll be one of the last to go for the food but when he swims his tail looks fine. The rest of the time he chills in one spot with his tail about as tall as his body. Is that normal as well?

I might just wait till this school of neons thins out and go get more guppys to have it as a guppy and cory tank but I guess we'll see!

Thanks again for your responses, I have no experience with this whatsoever and I'm thankful for your knowledge of this!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's time to test the tank water. Do you have a test kit?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've tested the water almost every day since the aquarium was set up. Since the cycle finished, it still reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10-20ppm nitrate. When I did my water changes I made sure to dechlorinate everything. pH is ~7.6, that hasn't changed since day 1.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a happy tank of guppies & neons~I would recommend holding off on the neons a while and let things settle a bit. Have you added the corys yet? I would add those next instead of the neons.

I've found the neons tend to like a "gentle" tank so if you have a fierce filter flow that could stress them. Also neons tend to like the cooler end of the usual tank temperature spectrum (unlike cardinals)~I keep mine under 75 and they are doing exceptionally well...big & active they are.

YMMV
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to wait a few weeks before I add any fish and see how everything goes. Thanks.

Back to the original fish in question, he's started to move around a lot more and interacting with more areas of the tank but I believe I've got a problem. It appears that he has a white spot or 2 on almost every fin. It looks to be a sign of ich but I'm not 100% sure since I'm not experienced with this.

Should my next step be to go get some anti ich medicine from the pet store? I hope this little fella makes it, hes been tough so far!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I've used ich medication in the past with success, the brand I used was Quik-Cure. Some use salt and heat, but I have never used this method, so can't really give you advice on how to properly do it. Here is a good write up on common fish diseases, read it so you can understand what is going on and make a decision on how you want to treat it.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=41178

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    About an hour after the last post I searched for the guppy and couldn't find him. Lifted up his little house and there he was belly up and gone. And the new neon tetra I got today isn't looking so good, his scales are a lighter shade around his dorsal fun and it looks like the spines are not connected. The other tetra seem fine. If this one goes, I'll keep the 3 guppys and 5 neon tetra until I can get the 6 albino cory?

I'm going to get a hospital tank set up before I introduce anything else. A 10 gallon. Thankfully all the fish I've lost have been under warranty and I haven't had to pay extra.

I guess this is what I get for purchasing fish from petsmart?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_grimes
    About an hour after the last post I searched for the guppy and couldn't find him. Lifted up his little house and there he was belly up and gone. And the new neon tetra I got today isn't looking so good, his scales are a lighter shade around his dorsal fun and it looks like the spines are not connected. The other tetra seem fine. If this one goes, I'll keep the 3 guppys and 5 neon tetra until I can get the 6 albino cory?

I'm going to get a hospital tank set up before I introduce anything else. A 10 gallon. Thankfully all the fish I've lost have been under warranty and I haven't had to pay extra.

I guess this is what I get for purchasing fish from petsmart?
    It could be you got into a bad run of fish~I have huge success with Petsmart fish and buy 90% of my stock there; some of my corys from there are several years old.

Where is your PH level?
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Once things settle down and you are ready to add more fish, I suggest you fill out that school of neons before getting the cory. The neons will appreciate the added numbers and the cory will appreciate a more mature tank.