· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Is this a feather duster worm and are they good or bad?

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed a flower like thing on one of my rocks the other day that was about the size of a dime and when I went to grab the rock to see what it was it went back into the rock. It stays out most of the time from what I can tell. I don't know what it is? This is a pic from google since my phone hasn't sent the email attachment all day but it's pretty much the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (15.9 KB, 22 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it looks like that then I would also guess that what you have is a feather duster... Harmless and beneficial.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got most of my LR from an established tank, but this is the first of any type of critter I've seen moving around that isn't my CUC or my fish. Apparently some people see all kinds of life in there sand and rock, and that's kind of what I have been waiting for.

will more come? can you tell me anything else about these things?
    72 gallon saltwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As you tank establishes, months to years, more and more cool things will pop out as you stare into the tank. I suggest a good magnifying glass and some "moon light" for the tank, you'll be amazed! As for dusters, if you haven't found them in your lfs for sale, look them up online. They're a beautiful addition to any reef ( the ones for sale are much larger and interresting to watch as they spin their feathers around to sweap the water column for food.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen them at the stores but didn't think they were the same thing. It looks like they eat phyto plankton and I just bought some from lfs cause it was on clearance with the idea of maybe adding coral one day in the future. Do you think I should feed it? Do you think it will get big like the ones in the store. the only thing I have that is not reef safe is a red chocolate chip star fish but with this being in the rock and how fast it went back into the hole it should be fine. ya think?
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That did help. I just added two lil baby blue leg crabs to my clean up crew, so we'll see how long this guy sticks around. It would be kind of cool if they reproduced :) a day later my email finally sends. Here's the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (177.8 KB, 10 views)
    72 gallon saltwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hitchiker feather duster do not need phyto to thrive. I would n9t recomend phytodosing to any tank that does not have large opulation of filter feeders to take it up. That stuff is nothing but bottled phosphate. Yes you have a feather duster,it will get enough food from whatever is in the tank already.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good thanks
    72 gallon saltwater