· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Different species of Pangio Loach?

0 Not allowed!
    After reading the descriptions on THIS link, I now believe that my Kuhli/Pangio loaches are not all the same species. I got them all from the same LFS, but on 2 different occasions. I have never really been able to get a really good look at them until the other day when I caught them all to change the gravel in my tank.

While most of them look like Pangio kuhlii (or possibly semicincta or malayana, they're so darned similar), one looks distinctly like Pangio myersi, with the thicker dark bars and little yellow stripes. It is also a little bulkier than the others.

Does this matter? I currently have 6 Kuhlis (whatever species they are) and have been looking to add another 2 or 4.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Nope doesn't matter in the slightest they will all live in harmony
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Scotti. :)

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Just seconding what Scottishfish said... I too have at least one that I know is not a true kuhlii. (Mine is an alternans, which has more giraffe type spots for coloration)

Its apparently quite common to end up with some mixed variety, and much rarer to actually track down the rarer varieties.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a few of the giraffe type ones, and one with the almost total black bodies. I do have 20+ of them though albino khulis are mega expensive

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I can't seem to find more alternans around here. Granted I'm not scouring the earth for them, but I do check when I'm at the pet shop.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Best bet is just to buy 10 at a time and chances are you will have a mixture of types. All their behaviours, eating habits and general needs are all identical so really its just the different patterns that vary.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, that's really reassuring. :) When I went into the LFS the other day to get more they had the Kuhlis divided into two groups -- the Kuhlis (Pangio kuhlii) and Giant Kuhlis (what they called Myersi kuhlii). I was instantly bewildered and had no idea which species I had or which to get!
    Last edited by Amelia; 06-07-2012 at 01:22 AM.