· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Airstones and plants

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! My fish friends are incredibly happy, but I am curious now that the cycle, ick and diatom outbreak is behind me...what can I do to make my plants happy?
    -26 gallon bow front
    -stock Aqueon filter
    -AC 50 filter
    -lower sand with gravel layer
    -ph 7.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10.0
    -(1) 12" air strip running from left side mid way thru tank under root decoration
    -(2) small air stones in opposite corners (right side of tank)
    -Whisper 60 air pump

I have been advised by LFS to remove carbon and add daily doses of 1/2 cap Florish Excel and 1/2 cap of Florish Iron and weekly doses of Stresszyme.

My lighting is the stock Aqueon bulb full spectrum 15 watt, 120 volt. I know I should upgrade lighting...any ideas? I have purchased a full glass top. I do not currently use nor do I wish to go the CO2 route.

Also: I have been running my airstones 24/7. Is this a bad idea and if so, how much should I run them. My fish love to play in the bubbles. Thank you for all your help!!

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know why they would advise daily doses of iron but no other ferts like potassium. Nutrients should be balanced. I think I would just get a fertilizer like Leaf Zone or Flourish. What kind of plants do you have? Different plants have different requirements......like sword plants. They like their iron at the roots with root tabs.

I would only use Excel if I had an algae break out. Several varities of plants die from that stuff. Airstones should be used IF you use the Excel or CO2 only at night. I use an airstone but I do not use CO2 or Excel. (Excel only when absolutely necessary for algae.)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lhenson
    Hey all! My fish friends are incredibly happy, but I am curious now that the cycle, ick and diatom outbreak is behind me...what can I do to make my plants happy?
    -26 gallon bow front
    -stock Aqueon filter
    -AC 50 filter
    -lower sand with gravel layer
    -ph 7.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10.0
    -(1) 12" air strip running from left side mid way thru tank under root decoration
    -(2) small air stones in opposite corners (right side of tank)
    -Whisper 60 air pump

I have been advised by LFS to remove carbon and add daily doses of 1/2 cap Florish Excel and 1/2 cap of Florish Iron and weekly doses of Stresszyme.

My lighting is the stock Aqueon bulb full spectrum 15 watt, 120 volt. I know I should upgrade lighting...any ideas? I have purchased a full glass top. I do not currently use nor do I wish to go the CO2 route.

Also: I have been running my airstones 24/7. Is this a bad idea and if so, how much should I run them. My fish love to play in the bubbles. Thank you for all your help!!
    I also run an airstone 24/7 - at least the LFS advised you to remove your carbon - it isn't needed really except to remove meds.

+1 with LH on using balanced nutrients for plants if they need it.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    If I confused, I run an airstone only because my fish seem to like it. I don't use the airstone for the plants. They don't care.

0 Not allowed!
    Air Stone is only good for two things. Helping the dissolved gases exchange at the surface by agitation, and for pleasing owner and inhabitants (Inhabitants for play, owner for looks). Other than that, nada use.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I don't know why they would advise daily doses of iron but no other ferts like potassium. Nutrients should be balanced. I think I would just get a fertilizer like Leaf Zone or Flourish. What kind of plants do you have? Different plants have different requirements......like sword plants. They like their iron at the roots with root tabs.

I would only use Excel if I had an algae break out. Several varities of plants die from that stuff. Airstones should be used IF you use the Excel or CO2 only at night. I use an airstone but I do not use CO2 or Excel. (Excel only when absolutely necessary for algae.)
    Lady Hobbs, I don't know why they would advise much of anything, but that is why I am here and asking those who actually know what they are talking about! Anything they tell me to do...I am running it past you guys and gals first!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 different types of Anubias, 2 banana plants, 1 green Ozelot, (2) Red Wendtii, Marble Queen Radican Sword, 2 onion (looking) plants and a Java fern.

Thanks Lady Hobbs for the Excel tip.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need Stress Zyme for anything.

I use air stones in any freshwater tank, I have seen them save entire setups way too many times to not (filter stops running for one of many possible reasons). If you are not running CO2 gas then it won't be driving that off so there shouldn't really be any harm in using them.

I suggest starting as simply as possible and only doing what is beneficial. The two basic things I almost always suggest are Flourish Tabs and Flourish comprehensive additive (general additive). Then dose as needed for things the plants show they need.

A light upgrade is always a good idea too. A double HOT5 fixture (I recommend Current) would be good.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.